Thread: Losec stopped working?

Default Losec stopped working?

Just wondering if this happens? Can Losec stop working?

My poor boy is sooo unhappy these last few days, he has been taking Losec for the last 3 weeks and there was a massive improvement, but things have gone down hill really quickly.

Do i take him back to the GP? I feel like i can't do it anymore. He is arching and squirming, and just crying and crying and crying. I have been so careful about what i am eating, i have cut out all dairy, spicy food, soft drinks, chocolate and caffeine. I feel like giving him formula as i can't help but feel guilty that my milk is giving him so much pain, but i tried some formula a few weeks ago and it made things 100 times worse. He is propped in his cot and i keep him upright 90% of the time, i actually rarely put him down.

Our GP suggested starting solids early, so he has been having rice cereal for the last few weeks and some avocado, pumpkin, carrot and banana. I did give him 2 of those rafferty's packs on wed/thursday (apple, pear and cinnamon and the pumpkin apple and sweetcorn one), could this be causing the problems?

How old is your bub? They do go through little developmental phases every now and then where they can be extremely unsettled. Do you have a sling or carrier to make it easier to hold him?
    Oh, and yes, solids may not be a good idea. If he's having issues with breastmilk, then anything else is likely to be even worse. I would stop and see if that helps.

Thanks marcellus, he is almost 5 months and yep i have a wonderful HAB style carrier which he is always in. I have reeled back the solids and will keep it to one rice cereal meal a day and see if it helps. I have booked in to see the GP tomorrow and see what he thinks as well. I am a bit worried about how he is breathing, it seems like he is really labouring after each feed, but its also the same sound he uses to laugh so i am not really sure if its an issue or not.

Hey Appletree, sorry to hear your little man is having a relapse. I found that introducing solids made things worse again too. I was also told by my paed that introducing solids would help - but they just gave her an upset tummy.

What dose is he on currently?

Have you tried a chiropractor? We have managed to reduce missy's losec to the minimum dose thanks to chiro. Definitely something to think about.

Hope it gets better for you guys again soon.
    Sue xxx
    Last edited by MummaSue; September 20th, 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: addition

It could be an age thing. Honestly, I'd stop the solids altogether for at least a week or so, see how you go, then gradually reintroduce (if you want to) and again, see how you go.
    DS had silent reflux early on, not to the extent that he needed medication or anythign mind you, but we had similar issues when he first started eating at 6 months and found stoping for a bit helped. If his digestive system is struggling it makes sense to keep it 'easy' for him, I think.
    Anyway, hope things settle down for the little guy soon

I agree Marcellus, Evie's problem settled again after stopping solids.

Sue xx

Thanks guys, i have already seen a massive improvement today so will cut solids out altogether tomorrow

That's great appletree!! Keep us posted!

Sue xxxxx

Have you had him weighed recently?
    My DD as "flare ups" every now and then when she has out on weight - this is when I know we have to go back to the Paed to get the dosage adjusted.

Just a quick update that DS is now the happiest baby ever After each feed he sits there and gives me the biggest grin ever and it is just the best feeling after so much misery! Thank you all SOOOO much! My instincts told me to stop the solids a couple of weeks ago and DF talked me out of it. Wish i had listened to myself!

Erybery, he is gaining weight nicely now, he put on 200g in the two months before Losec was prescribed, and is now averaging 100-200g a week again. Our GP weighed him again on monday and didn't think he needed is dosage changed at the moment

That's great appletree! And that's a really good weight gain for his age.

Appletree, that is awesome news!!

Glad to hear you have your happy bubby back!!

Sue xxxx