Thread: Natural/Chemical-Free Teethers?

Default Natural/Chemical-Free Teethers?

Hi!
    Anyone know where I can purchase a natural silicone/rubber teether? (Or any other sort of 100% natural teether?)
    I am concerned about the plastic softening chemicals (pthalates) used in the conventional teething toys as they apparently leach into bubs mouth when mixed with saliva and are very toxic!!

For anyone interested you can read about it here:
    Teething on Toxics - PVCs in toys may create health hazard for children and infants | Sierra | Find Articles at BNET

I don't know about those kinds but I have heard that amber is used by many as a natural teether. Ages ago I saw a site that had dummy shaped amber for this purpose. You could probably find more by just googling.

There are also amber teething necklaces that bubs wear that apparantly work very well. You could also try a frozen wet facewasher for DS to chew on. iz also had a few wooden teethers, one of which a friend had hand made.

Check out healthytoys dot org

It is a good source of info for safe mass produced toys.

Default Natural Teethers

Thanks for the replies.
    I hadn't heard of Amber teethers- will look into it. I found organic cotton teethers online at natureschild, but I don't know if they would be tough enough? They are like stuffed vegetable toys with organic cotton filling and organic cotton casing....

Will check out the healthy toy website too- thanks for that suse!!

Hey JellyBean - I've sold quite a few of the Nature's Child Organic cotton teethers over the past few years, and everyone seems to love them - especially the bean and the carrot ones. They are pretty tough and well made. Also. you can buy natural latex dummies on the Nature's Child website - I've heard they are great too. The frozen face washer seems to always work too (Tanstar xxx

I bought DS a stuffed toy. It's a bunny. He's had teethers but he's actually preferred the toy. He quite likes chewing on the paws or tail when he wants a little relief. And if he wants to tear into something he has a go at the ears. The good thing about the toy is that it's a great comforter and we don't need to pack an extra something when he's teething. We also use rusks. DS is seven and a half months old now and has six teeth in place and a further two are cutting through. Needless to say I feel like he's been constantly teething for over four months. The stuffed rabbit is still going strong and Oscar loves his Jack rabbit. I'm with you and am wary of exposing him to too many chemicals.It can't be good for them.

Default Thanks

Thanks Nicole- I ended up buying the carrot organic cotton teether from Natureschild. My little man loves it!! Its great that they're doing the natural latex dummies now too.