Thread: Neocate Advance formula/ allergies causing reflux

Default Neocate Advance formula/ allergies causing reflux

JD was put on Neocate Advance this week. His newly diagnosed allergy to milk, eggs and nuts has been the motivation to this decision by the peadi. Its smells terrible and can imagine it tastes just as bad. Has anyone had experiences with this and these allergies. I am not sure what to feed him now, particularly since dairy was a main food for him.

Hi puppies,

Hugs - sounds like you've had a trying time. It puzzles me a bit that he needs to have formula... isn't he about 20 months old? (but I'm sure your doc knows better than I do! LOL). FWIW my DS has a dairy/soy allergy (he is 5 months) but I can't have it either as I'm breastfeeding. I plan to feed to 1yr then put him onto rice milk. There are some great allergy books around (google Allergies by Fortiori - all recipes egg, nut and dairy free so great for you).

Here are some other ideas (bear in mind I don't have to worry about eggs/nuts, so do double-check packets):
    - rice milk is great in cooking
    - nuttlex is also great in cooking (and not too bad a taste for sandwiches) (I like the olive one)
    - a lot of bread has dairy in it, so make sure you check (easy to slip up on this one as a lot of bread is bought without labelling)
    - you can buy egg replacer for cooking
    - coconut milk can be useful in savoury cooking (but go easy as it's quite rich)
    - rice/corn thins
    - avocado
    - also be aware of the names for milk-based products (casein/ate, whey etc)
    - casseroles and stews are great and freeze well (and don't need milk, eggs or nuts)
    - some sorbets are dairy-free (but check for egg?)
    - plain natural corn chips
    - orgran brand is your new best friend!

HTH - feel free to ask any more questions.

He needs the formula because it is an 'essential diet'. This means that if he ate nothing else and just ingested the correct amount of this formula for his weight he would survive. He can not have milk rice, soy milk, goats milk or anything like that. Its the protein that he is allergic to and it is found in all of these products.

I did get a great book from Borders yesterday actually. So that is my new best friend it was written by a mum called, 'Managing Your Childs Food Allergies' Author Alison Orman with Dr Pereeti Joshi from the Childrens Hospital Westmead (this is where JD had his allergy tests done this week).

I am looking forward to seeing the peadiatric dietician asap, I am sure that will answer a lot of questions for me. But your alternatives have been very much appreciated. I have copied them and printed them out.