Thread: Only eating small amounts - ?

Default Only eating small amounts - ?

Is it normal for (silent) reflux baby's to only eat small amounts at each feed? My baby is now about 4.5 months now, and generally eats about 70-80mL per feed (we get her up to 120mL on the occasion).

We feed her 3-4 hourly all day, and then she wakes up demanding food every 2-3 hours over night. This has been going on since she was born - and I AM EXHAUSTED!!

The other night we tried pushing out her night feeds so that she would only get fed at 10.30, 2am and 6am (and nothing inbetween), but it meant basically no sleep for my partner and I as she was crying the whole time. We finally relented because we'd had enough so just fed her so we could all get some sleep!

If this is the standard routine of reflux babies, we will just resign ourselves to the fact that she will never sleep through the night until the reflux goes. If its not - does anyone know who we go to in instances like this for help? I've even tried also feeding her between her normal day time feeds to try and load her belly up so she's more full at night but she just wont take any more food during the day.

Oh, and I'm BF'ing with a once-a-day formula feed.

These are her feed times from yesterday:
    6.30am, 10.30am, 2pm, 5.30pm, 6.30pm, 9.30pm, 1.30am, 3.30am, 4.30am, 6.30am!

And each of the early morning feeds, she really gobbles, so it does seem like she IS hungry.

Help!

Matilda did feed every 2-3 hours overnight until she was 4 1/2 months and then it settled down. It is common with babies with reflux to tend to snack all the time because that helps keep the stomach acid down. Sorry... I hate to be the bearer of bad news With Matilda we often just alternated overnight, so 1 formula feed or EBM and the next breast... and I would take her to bed when I was too tired. HTH!

DAMMIT, lost a big post

Ok here we go again. From my experience & research reflux bubs learn very quickly that when they feed they are going to throw up & more than likely be in pain. As a result they figure out a way to stop from hurting either refusing to feed, being difficult at feed time or taking small feeds more often. By taking smaller feeds more often they will throw up less & in theory be in less pain. Filling up her belly during the day probably won't work as she will probably throw it up anyway!

I know it's tough to deal with, but eventually she will get past it, you just have to persevere with her :hugs: