Thread: Please...ANY info on Losec?

Danstar Guest

Question Please...ANY info on Losec?

Hi Everyone,

My 9 w. o. baby girl has been very unsettled for about 4 weeks now. She shows the typical signs of reflux and colic. She has not had a day sleep over this time. After a great deal of persistance with both doctors and peadictricians, Siena has been prescribed Losec - 0.5ml in the morning and 0.5mls at night. I had to basically ask for this. I dont understand why so many of them take the "they will eventually grow out of this" approach . I am praying that this will give her some relief

Can anyone shed some light on how long it will take for this to work and what experiences you may have had with this drug. I am also curious on the dose - I have read that some Mums only noticed a change in their bubs after the dose was increased. Also, I was told to give this to her 0.5-1 hour before her feed.

Thankyou for listening
    x

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Losec is pretty much the top of the notch drug they will give you for reflux, usually it's Zantac as a first stop and for bad cases Losec. It used to be on special prescription when I worked in pharmacy around 9 years ago. A baby's digestive system is very immature and muscles weak, they will develop and strengthen as they get older, hence why you are being told she will grow out of it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Danstar Guest

hi theresa!!

its me again. siena has been up since 4am this morning - no sleep and pretty much crying the whole time. im starting to really get upset now.she also seems very windy. does losec do this?

i hope she starts improving by mon. sorry about lowercase typing am holding her while i type
    xx

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Danstar - it could be so many things. Is she formula fed or breastfed? What is her sleeping patterns like? What do you do to settle her at night? What sort of cry is it? It's a needle in a haystack so if you could tell me a bit more info perhaps we can help a bit better!

I was completely misinformed myself and found that when I started Elijah on some thickened formula for his reflux (along with breastfeeds), it made his wind worse (of course being thicker to digest and formula is harder to digest anyway) and he was more miserable with it, so I gave it up and he soon grew out of the reflux. Zantac seemed to help a little, but I think the best thing we used was brauers colic relief from the chemist.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Danstar Guest

Hi Kelly,
    Do you think that it would be a bad idea to use both Brauers AND Losec? The Brauers seemed to really settle her tummy tonight. I could hear her tummy rumblng with all the wind, and she was tensing so badly from the pain.. so decided to give her Brauers as well. She went to sleep about 15 minutes afterwards. I still dont know if she had a really bad colicy problem or if it is a combination of both colic and reflux. I cant imagine colic to keep her up all day crying (?) All I know is that she is in a great deal of pain and cant sleep beacuse of it. Even when she eventually nods off, she is very restless and groans a lot - which really is distressing.

Thanks for your help
    Kelly, the full story is under another post in the "general discussion"