Thread: possible colic baby....need help

Kirsty77 Guest

Default possible colic baby....need help

hi everyone

Have been having problems settling Gemma lately,She has the snuffles(we're using fess nose unblocker) and a slight cough but she has also become a nightmare to settle, mostly at night but sometimes during the day as well, after feeds,She'll scream then stop, fall asleep then wake up 2 mins later screaming, and has heaps of gas.It does sound like colic doesn't it?Or could it be cause shes sick or something else.Last night she screamed for 3 1/2 hours and Corey and I were just as upset as her by the end of it.We've tried the dummy, but she'll keep spitting it out and then scream.We really are at our wits end.Is there anything we can give her?Shes only 2 weeks old so we know we're limited.

thnks in advance.................

awww kirsty thats so hard, basically when they get sick its really hard for them to do anything normal. Matilda gets all out of whack when she's sick & I just have to keep reminding myself (at 3am in the rocking chair with my eyes closed ) that she's sick & just needs her mummy.

When they have blocked sinus' most babies wake up because its "pooling" somewhere or because they have to learn how to sleep with their mouths open. Maybe hold her upright on your chest for a while until she's well & truely asleep & then try to transfer her. And elevating the head end of where she sleeps? Matilda got sick at 10 days and had major sinus issues, we co-slept so for two nights I had her sleep on my chest (I didn't get much sleep) and slept with heaps of pillows behind me. DH would take a shift for a few hours so I could get some sleep & to feed her I would go into the shower in the steam & sit just outside the shower....

Its exhausting.... and colic doens't help. When they are sick their wind issues can increase as well. Maybe try massage with every nappy change? Massage really helps push wind out.

The other thing we tried for wind was to give Matilda cooled boiled water. So the water was room temp and she would take around 10mls and it helped push out some of that wind.

Good luck!

Amy had colic from about 2 weeks to 10 weeks and we used Gripe Water. We also used Brauer Colic Relief. It is hard when they are screaming but I found those things helped. Amy would always get it in the afternoon or middle of the night. It has gone now which is reassuring that it doesn't last forever.

rails2005 Guest

Hi Kristy,

Its so hard when they are that little. Elle grew out of her Colic at 10 weeks so hang in there ok. Something that really helped her though was a product called Infants friend it really gets the wind moving out of there bowels. The great thing about it is unlike most wind mixtures you can't really give them too much - I also found if i gave it to her before a feed she would eat more and be more relaxed.
    Just wanted to mention she also had Silent reflux which wasn't picked up until 2 months, but she would do the same feed and then scream, go to sleep then wake up 10 mins later screaming again.
    I also found the boiled water was great!!!

Hope this helps. Hugs to you.

Custardtart Guest

I've heard Infacol drops recommended by a few people, I'm planning on getting some this week to try out, as we have similar symptoms with Max.

Kerrie

I should mention I tried all of the above lol I tried Infants Friend & that worked really well, Infacol was okay it tends to combine all the bubbles together so you get one HUGE burp and that would always being up food with my refluxy baby, and Gripe Water which was okay as well.

The other thing that helped was Marina's mixture. But I do think some of these have a 1 month old limit on them, so check them out

Custardtart Guest

Thanks, Christy, good to have some feedback from an experienced Mum! My other kids didn't have this problem.

Kerrie

Alex has had colic too, but is over it now [-o<
    We found Mylicon helped (maybe not available in Australia) but I imagine it is similar to other off the shelf wind drops you would find there.
    He also had some osteopathic treatment which provided some relief.
    We didn't use water but I think its a good idea if you can get her to drink it rather than milk if she's feeding more often than every 3 hours. Just to give her tummy a chance to digest the last feed.
    Poor little love, hope she's better soon!

Kirsty - Lucie was diagnosed with reflux last week. Of course I am not sure what it is with Gemma, but Lucie would get really unsettled bang on 6 every evening and scream. She couldn't take her feed because she would suck and then scream like it was hurting her. It would take hours to settle her and she usually just sleeps! Paed diagnosed reflux. She doesn't vomit much though, but it does come up and then go back down again which is silent reflux. Maybe ask the doc/paed if that's what it could be?

I have just got Infacol for Indah, as she has been screaming with wind pain, since Saturday afternoon basically!!! But she doesnt tend to burp much, just lot's of farting & big ones that relax her a bit til the next pain comes, she is really unsettled which is tiring!!!!

Custardtart Guest

Infacol didn't seem to do a lot for Max, I'm busy working my way through the rack at the chemists to find what works for him!

Kerrie

LOL Thats what I did too...worked my way around

Just thought I would add my bit as I am going through a similar thing with Maggie, she has reflux, but I think she has a few wind issues as well. I find a massage to relaxing music works really well, she really likes medieval meditation music.

I first give her a quick massage all over her body to initially relax her, then I cycle her legs (apprently this helps with wind), then I rub her tummy in a clockwise direction. If she has bad wind her tummy feels really tight and she does not like it. I then flip her over onto her tummy, which she likes, and massage her back and bottom. This tends to make her burp and fart a lot and she feels so much better afterwards.

Astrid