Thread: Reflux

Sammie Seal Guest

Question Reflux

Hi Everyone
    My 8 month old was diagnosed with reflux at around 6 weeks and was eventually prescribed Zoton. I can honestly say his vomiting has gotten worse. He vomits solids/ breastmilk anything. He is upright 99% of the time yet still vomits cups of vomit. I am forever changing our clothes/mopping the floor/changing sheets.His weight gain and growth are okay 25th -50th %. The doctor told me that I should wait until he is 12 months old before I go back. His vomiting drives us both (me & bub) crazy and I just feel that it is not normal. Can anyone share their experience with me. Should I ask for a referral to a paed? Or should I just wait?

Thanks

Sam & William

Mummy of Lochie 5, Jaimee 2.5 & William 8mths

Definately get a referral to a paed. Matilda had silent reflux so didn't vomit as much but most babies with reflux grow out of it by the time they are 6-9 months. If he is still vomitting that much I would ask to see someone else. It is so much work looking after a vomitting baby.

Sammie Seal Guest

Hi Christy
    Thanks for your reply - I think that is what I will do - see a paed. And yes it certainly feels like an endless amount of work cleaning baby vomit off of everything.
    Wow congrats on your new arrival - just over a week old and you are already helping other mums.
    Thanks
    Sam

tiggy Guest

Hey Sam,
    My daughter has reflux. She is just about to turn 1 and still has bad vomity days. It's hard, isn't it?
    All the doctors kept telling me that Ivy would grow out of it but she got alot worse. I went to paed after paed until finally, one of the Mums on here suggested that she may have an intolerence to dairy protein. She started on a dairy and soy protein free formula (after I weaned her) and her vomiting improved out of sight! She also has reflux however, since she was found to be sensitive to dairy the vomiting and reflux (that burning she gets when she vomits) has reduced too. If she has foods with dairy in it, her vomiting escalates again. Food, fluid, you name it, it all comes back. I feel for you, hun. I hope you find a great paed who can help you. It's disheartening when you see your baby throwing up all the time and it interferes with life. I know when her reflux was out of control, I hardly left the house and when I did, I took half a dozen changes of clothes, for her and for me!

Sammie Seal Guest

Hi Ladies
    Thank you all so much for your input. I don't feel so alone now. I did test the theory of cow's milk protein allergy early on (before solids) but could not identify a definite link. It may be worth revisiting.
    My 2.5 year old daughter calls him a 'spew monster' - not very lady like I know - but quite funny at times .

Thanks again
    Sam

tiggy Guest

LOL Sam,
    Good to see you can still laugh about it!

Hey Sam, definitley not alone. If you want ot email me I have a link to a great resourse site for refluxy bubbas.