Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reflux

Marcia Guest

Well, we finished the S26 AR, and decided it wasn't making much of a difference, and was also making him constipated, so went back to regular S26. That fixed the constipation, but the huge vomits came back with a vengance, so now we are trialling Karicare AR. It seems to be working brilliantly with only a little bit of vomiting still, but today again after 3 days of this formula he is constipated again!! Poor little man *TMI* had the hardest, driest little nugget in his nappy this morning! Just wondering if others have had this problem with thickened formulas, and if so, was it ongoing or did it fix itself? I will try getting some water into him today and maybe some water with brown sugar if that doesn't work. Any other suggestions? I don't really want to give him juice yet if I can help it.

How are you gonig Marcia??? Matilda did have a few nuggets but it settled after a week....(sorry so late in responding, I must have missed this! #-o )

Well...since Matilda's been crawling her reflux has gotten bad again ](*,) . She was so much better for like a month and we were going to actually start weaning her off the Zantac and then *crash* she starts crawling & its all worse than ever... the screaming/pain and vomits... poor poor sausage! Just when we were going to go off the thickened formula too!

One thing... I noticed with the Karicare HA-AR she was soooo much better as its partially digested and easier on their bellies... we couldn't find any last time and bought the AR formula & she's not as good either... with constipation #-o ... I can't WAIT for this to settle!!!

Marcia Guest

AAARGH!! Is all I have to say about reflux Christy lol! No, not really, I've got lots to say! We are now back to regular Karicare formula because the constipation went on for about 3 weeks with water, with brown sugar, and with prune juice not working to help his bowels along. Of course he is back to vomiting very badly again and starting to cry a lot from the pain now (he used to be a happy chucker), but is no longer constipated. We are starting to get him to drink more water from a sippy cup now, as he would not drink it from a bottle, so I am wondering if we should try thickened formula again as it did help a lot with the pain and vomiting. I didn't realise that the HA-AR was easier to digest. Maybe it wouldn't constipate him so badly? Anyway, we are going to try taking him to a chiropractor and see if that helps at all as DH and I are at our wits end and willing to try anything, as he is 5 months old now and if anything it is getting worse rather than better. It is so hard to watch him cry in pain with it now. I feel a bit angry and ripped off at our doctor actually, because we have seen him twice about Hudsons reflux and both times he has pretty much just shrugged it off and said he will grow out of it soon. It's not that I want to medicate my little boy if I can help it, but I don't think he really realises how bad Hudsons reflux really is. Every time we go to the Drs Hudson doesn't vomit at all until we leave and then it all starts again lol! I also worry about all that acid in his throat, as he often sounds like he has a dry/sore throat when he 'talks', and he coughs a lot (and I know he isn't sick). Sorry, just a bit of a whinge there, I just wish drs wouldn't look at me like I am a paranoid mother and fob me off, because this really is a real problem for Hudson. Maybe if the chiropractor doesn't work it is time to find a second opinion.....

katanya Guest

Hi girls my friend in Belgium's baby who is a month old has just been diagnosed with silent reflux, and it is very weird because when she described him it sounded just like Matilda, and I actually asked her if anyone had looked at him for reflux! So they have told to give him mylanta type thing (in Belgium) and he seems happier already.

I wanted to know if you guys could recommend anything else to help? Or some websites that have info?

I found a reflux society in Brissy... I looked up reflux and babies and Australia on google...maybe that might help?

BTW...Matilda has silent reflux Well diagnosed Dr katanya!

katanya Guest

Thanks Christy, I just did a search and got heaps of sites to send her, like ABA and RISA..I wish I WASN'T right about the diagnose I remember what you went through with Matilda, and I wouldnt wish that on anyone!

My little Kaitlyn has been vomiting since birth. At 7wks the midwife said she thinks she's a reflux baby. The Dr didn't say much at all. Thinking I should go back to him...but DH seems to think all babys vomit and it's nothing. But Kaitlyn vomits after every feed. To start with she was having mainly breast milk and Karicare AR thickened to top up, then she started demanding more than my breasts could produce so she went onto karicare AR for all feeds. I noticed with the breast milk she vomited every feed and it was a lot of vomit, now with the karicare it's not so much and its not every feed that she vomits. I don't know what to do as DH seems to think she's fine (she never really complains about vomiting) and says she's probably just over full. BUt I have cut her back from 200+ per feed to 130-160 per feed and she still vomits the same. She even vomited on me as I walked into the midwifes office to get her weighed on tuesday. I don't know what to do. She's gaining weight, she's not distressed by it, it just distresses me and means I have to do a full load of KAITLYN's washing every two days (we use special soap with her wash). Any ideas anyone? Please, I'd like to know what you think as I don't want to fight with DH if I can help it, but I don't want my daughter to vomit so much either...........

katkins she sounds like what they call a "happy chucker" and usually it does make more work for you unfortunately but at least they don't have the screaming. I found sometimes with Matilda if I change her formula to the AR only she does regurgitate more and vomit more, maybe trying the HA-AR? It is easier to digest making it faster, which means to Matilda that she doesn't vomit on it. Good luck!

Christy, I guess I should just take a chill pill and relax a bit. I know I should, but what makes me mad is that she seems to only throw up during the day when I feed her, when her dad feeds her for the bedtime feed, she doesn't really throw up at all and hence he doesn't believe me. Maybe I'm just blowing it out of proportions. She's happy and healthy and developing well....... I should just count my blessings...

katanya Guest

Katkins, Felix was a happy chucker he was never medicated because he gained well and it never bothered him. We used to have to wash a full load every day, because it was all over the bed sheets too, and my clothes and every wondersuit he owned! Felix is BF and never had formula so i can't compare them for you, but I can tell you postitioning is everything. Look up the Reflux asscociation because they have suggestions on positions, but I found if I fed him with my arm under his head when laying down or had him sitting up when he was feeding in my arms sitting up was MUCH better for the vomiting. Also be really careful with her after a feed. I put his bassinette on an angle too

I actually though all babies vomited like mine, but it seemed always to be worse in the mornings. I know that it can make you feel helpless and overwelmed and I was SO happy when it stopped at around 4 months (he still has a bit ever now and then) and even though you have a happy baby it can make you feel yuk..never underate the feelings you have and don't think you are overreacting, because every mother has challenges and this is yours..I am happy to tell you that it won't last forever!!

Our couch, carpets and bed will never be the same, it's really not so "happy for the mum is it?

katkins like katanya said I found positioning to help heaps, and Matilda's reflux would be alot easier to handle during the "sleep" feeds when she wasn't so active & alert, so maybe that is it too?

Its so hard, don't think that you are stressing too much about it! I would often cry after settling Matilda after an hour to only have to get her up & change the sheets #-o And the amount of washing! Its not hard to do but how do you get outside to hang it out?? (our line is downstairs & baby who moves on grass....yuck) so it just makes things heaps more difficult! But the vomiting does settle after a while...like katanya said, when Matilda was 4 months that seemed to settle heaps. She still has yuck days, but at least its not everyday.

thanks everyone for your support. Last night, 2 hrs after putting her down for bed, we heard her cough, DH went in to see to her and told me she'd vomited a little and he'd moved the nappy under her head so she wasn't laying in it. Fifteen mins later, she screamed and cried, so I ran into her. As I touched her she stopped crying, but she started vomiting SOO bad. She vomited over and over and over for about a minute or two. The only thing I could do in the end was lift her up out of the mess, hold her on her side and let het finish getting it up. She was still sound asleep until I started undressing her and cleaning her up. It was horrible to feel so helpless. She went back to sleep and slept thru almost to her normal time (which is from about 10:30/11pm until 6/7am). She also had another little chuck this morning. I feel terrible for saying this, but at least now my husband saw a vomiting episode. Not that he even checked the nappy before he threw it into the wash basket.....I don't even know how he picked it up! Let alone "didn't see".
    Even now he's not convinced......but at least he knows it does happen at times.

mmm oh how hard!! katkins whens your next appt with the MCHN or Dr? I would definatley mention this as there are some things you can try to help keep stuff down! Especially mylanta seems to work really well with happy chuckers...I would talk with them about it and monitor her weight gain as well. Another thing I was told was if you lay them on their left side? It helps digest contents of their belly quicker... that way they vomit less... Good luck!

Christy, I lay her on her left side 90% of the time. Simply because she sleeps better that side and is more confortable...... I haven't been to a DR since he said to try giving her thickened formula at nights (about 4 days before I changed her to fully formula fed at 6 weeks). I see a midwife weekly......I will bring it up with her next tuesday, but I'd like my DH to come with me to dr's because he says I leave things out when I tell him stuff about Kaitlyn.... My DH goes to USA on monday, so maybe I can convince him to come to see the dr with me before that. I just don't know what to do.....

katanya Guest

Katkins I agree with Christy, I would talk to the Dr about that, the vomiting for 1-2 mins sounds like quite a lot, Felix had episodes where he'd vomit about 6 times in a row and dry reach but not for 1-2 mins.
    Why don't you write down what is happening before you go in to see him, I cannot rely on my baby brain, and I always forget to mention the important stuff (it's survival instinct so we live day to day). When it happens have a piece of paper that you document how often she vomits and how much.
    Hve you got a MCHC nearby because they also will help you, if you need some advice straight away then ring the 1800 number in the back of your baby health record book, or look up a child health number in the phone book.
    I hope today is better for you

oh yeah katanya having a diary really helped me determine the "bad times" of day and help me prepare and see what we did... its a great idea and gives you something you can give to the midwife or Dr.

you guys have been great. Will start keeping a diary and go see a dr. Thanks.

*bump* just thought I'd put this one up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast