Thread: Reflux how can you tell

Default Reflux how can you tell

Since yesterday Eleanor has been sick after each feed. I have held her up after a feed and she's still been sick.
    Even after that and i put her to bed she is sick again and just goes back to sleep.
    I don't get to see the CYB until next week for our first visit. Eleanor has only been on formula for a few days so i am wonder if her body is still trying to get used to it. I am using S26gold.

Is it worth buying the anti-reflux formula ?

I'm a little worried as she's already lost over 300grm since brith.

have a look at this link on the BB main page. http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...flux-in-babies

I have known a few babies to not agree with S26. I'm aware every baby is different but if you are thinking of changing formula, I would do it early on rather than leave it too long. Change it now and see if it makes a difference. Also, after a feed, maybe keep her upright for an hour or so and see if that makes a difference. Another suggestion is raising her cot mattress.
    HTH

Caro we was going to see the Lactation consultant but Eleanor was lossing weight and was jaundice (sp?) again. Since changing her she's looked better.

Jodi thanks for the link i did check that out after i posted last night. I kept Eleanor upright for her feed and put her mattress up a little and no sick last night. She could also be getting used to the formula as she's only been on it for a few days.

Michelle, I know S26 can be quite thick, we use Lactogen and that seems to be thinner than the others and more like breast milk IYKWIM?

Sounds like it's getting better though

Caro i talked all this through with the CYN on Monday when she called and i am happy with the switch to formula and at the end of the day i have to think what is best for myself and Eleanor.
    I was starting to sink in to depression and I've had PND twice before so i had to think about that also.
    I'm happy to have even just done 9days of BFing which is more than i did with the other two. I also had no energy for the other two and i have them to think about also.

Rachel I'll check Lactogen out when we go to the shops next and also check to see what the CYN says when i see her Tuesday.

Melinda Guest

Michelle, does it seem to be upsetting Eleanor? True reflux is burny IYKWIM? There can be projectile vomits, or there can be the 'silent reflux' where the vomit comes up the throat but isn't vomitted out. Largely though it's painful as it burns their little throats.

Is it possible that Eleanor is just a vomity baby? I've had two vomity babies now. I thought Jacob was bad, but hooley dooley, Ruby was on a whole new level altogether. She would be in POOLS of vomit in her cot and quite literally would soak through 3 folded cloth nappies, straight through to the sheets. She is on S26AR which is the thickened formula and there was a dramatic improvement, but even having said that, she's STILL more vomity than Jacob ever was and that's saying something! LOL

You can also buy thickener to add to normal formula, so I guess that's the other option available if you choose to pursue it after chatting to the child health nurse and/or doctor.

Even with all Jacob and Ruby's vomitting, neither of them suffered in terms of weight gain (Ruby was weighed today and is 7.7kg). Weight gain (or more importantly - weight loss) is another big factor with the reflux.

Can you ring your child health nurse and just have a chat over the phone about your concerns?

Let us know how you go.

Thanks Melinda i never even thought that all she might be is a vomity baby as she is never unsettled when she is sick and i think she's trying to take too much formula at once because when she doesn't have so much she's not sick.

I'll see about getting some S26AR and see if that helps.

I was trying to post a while ago, but basically Mel said it There are some babies out there who are happy chuckers who don't get too upset by vomits, in those cases unfortunately not much helps, thickening their feeds can help but not always.

I was using slippery elm up until last week and it thickens feeds but I didn't think it really did too much for Jovie so stopped.

clare076 Guest

Hi Michelle
    Like I was saying to you earlier, Shelby had reflux, and boy did she puke! She used to pull off the boob and scream - vomit - eat - scream - vomit. We started off expressing and thickening the milk then bottle feeding her, (only for the very dedicated, and those with lots of spare time) then after 8 weeks of this routine I swapped to S26AR. She still puked though, just not as much (probably about 20ml) and it really slowed down her drinking, giving her more time to digest. We lifted the head of her mattress / cot and when feeding I used to sit next to her when she was upright in her bouncer and give the bottle. That way I didn't have to even touch her once she was finished. (one movement and she would puke) I am pretty sure she finally grew out of it around 10 months old.

p.s When are you going to do a baby site for Eleanor? We need more photos!

oh thats the other thing I tried to post earlier... 90% of babies with milk intolerance have reflux... so maybe trial goats milk for a tin or something... just to see what happens.

You can get soy based formula too. Thats what we had to give Cassie when she waws lactose intolerent. Can't remember what it was called though...sorry!

The only thing with soy is its still a high allergen food. Unfortunately Jovie is allergic to soy as well as cows milk, so thats why we use goats.