Thread: Reflux positioning not working

Aussie_Chik Guest

Default Reflux positioning not working

Hi All

I bf my 5 week old lo who has recently been diagnosed woth reflux. The problem is I have tried laying him on his tummy after a feed at a 30 degree angle as suggested to me and also propped him after a feed but he still vomits and quite a lot too! I have also elevated his bed and change table but doesn't seem to make much difference. The vomitting doesn't bother me but he has little to poor weight gain and I am worried he is not keeping enough down. Any comments or suggestions?

We had a real hard time with positioning not really changing anything for us, but we continued on with it. I found having Matilda in a sling completely upright for 30 minutes after a feed did help. In fact it was the only thing that did for us.

Postitoning hasn't helped much for us either 8-[

I think it does reduce it a bit, but thats about all.... for those who are really affected by reflux, positioning doesn't always stop the problem. I was told again and again by the ECHN's and GP's about positioning and it wasn't until one came over and saw how I had everything that they actually said, "well, you are doing all you can with positioning"

How is Tommy going now? Positioning helping yet?

Aussie_Chik Guest

Well it's been a long time since I last posted. Tommy is now almost 15 weeks and is still quite bad with the reflux. Positioning doesn't seem to help in the slightest. What I have resigned to do is to top him up just before I put him to bed. I know this is not the conventional sleep-feed-play pattern but it seems to be working as his weight gain has really improved. I'm really over the reflux though as we always smell of sick and even his room smells of it, I can handle the extra washing but it would be nice to put him some nice clothing and have him stay in it longer than a couple of feeds. I'm hoping he will grow out of it by 6 months - this is my benchmark! [-o<

Hold tight you are getting closer! I know people told me around that time that she would grow out of it in a few months, and I was so upset that it would take that long. But it did happen. I also couldn't believe that people would tell me that its only a short period of time because I couldn't remember life before. I'm sorry the positioning isn't working, but thats great that she feeds & sleeps easy enough. We did that until Matilda was 4 months because otherwise she would vomit everywhere in her cot & I wouldn't have any more milk. *hugs* almost there 8-[

Mitchden Guest

Unfortunately after 9 weeks trying to breastfeed my son with reflux and fighting to keep breast feeding we did give up as it was stressing us both. The best thing I did that did help was at night I gave him the reflux formula. Being heavier and with all the bed positioning helped keep it down at night plus kept him statisfied with a feed and could eventually increase his sleep during the night. I supplemented the night to get some peace so I was able to be refreshed to try again during the day. Plus my milk supply at night was low so it helped a little ready for the huge morning feed at 5am.

Otherwise I think you are all doing the right things. Each baby just has a different tolerance level. My GP said Mylanta was ok for babies too. and can help a bit with the indigestion.

Lea