Thread: Reflux Question

Default Reflux Question

Hi all. Just wanting some advice from those who's bubs have reflux.

Long story short GP thought DS had reflux put him on Losec. I wasn't convinced it was reflux as he didn't scream at all feeds, just some and I was thinking this might be due to tiredness. Anyway one night DH didn't give ds the losec dose and he was fine so we took him off the losec and GP said that if he was fine to leave him off the losec.

Now tonight DS lost it again and was screaming and screaming so now im wondering if it was reflux.

Ok, my question is (and this will prob not make any sense at all but ill do my best) for those bubs who do have reflux, do you hear a sound in the bubs chest kinda like they may have saliva just above their little chests?? Its hard to explain, kinda like they are trying not to choke on something?? I dunno if this makes any sense.

Hopefully someone can interpret my babble! He was making this sound tonight when he was really upset which got me thinking that maybe its the sound of the heartburn?? Does heartburn make an audible sound???

Isabel - I'll be quick because DS has just woken up, but we did used to hear a similar sound. DS would make it at night before he was on the Losec and I used to think he was about to choke to death. It was like he was being sick in his throat but not bringing it up. Initailly DS didn't vomit much to begin with, this started later on (and boy, could he vomit ).

I found the whole reflux and losec thing was a lot of trial and error. We would stop it thinking he was ok, and then a few days later once it had worn out of his system, the symptoms would be back.

I wish I could help.

Brendan had reflux until he was just over 12 months old, but he wasnt always in pain with it, when he was younger he was in pain a little more but still not all the time, so he was never actually medicated for it.

Isabel - yep that exaclty what DD sounds like! And it is a terrible sound, she was put on losec about 7 days ago and she is so much better and while Im still not sure if it is reflux with this improvment I am going to continue with the locec and see how we go for a few months and then check again.

HTH
    Kate xox

Thanks for the replies ladies. DS was really good today so ill play it by ear for awhile and see what happens.

I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a natural version of losec?? Maybe something homepathic. I would like to use something more natural if there is such a thing as it seems that DS perhaps has reflux but some days it isn't so bad.

Isabel, just a thought but if some days your DS is worse than others maybe it is something in your diet thats triggering his symptoms? i found my diet effects my DS's reflux, some foods are worse than others. its just a bit of trial and error.
    all the best!