Thread: Reflux, teething, or something else?

Default Reflux, teething, or something else?

Milo is getting really upset at feeding time lately.
    As soon as I get him ready for a feed, he starts crying/screaming, and often wont feed at all. Other times he'll take the first side, and not the second.

In both situations, he's obviously hungry, but won't feed, and we usually have to wait until he's so hungry he just doesn't care anymore.

He possets after some feeds, and does chucky burps (these are increasing lately), but no projectile vomiting etc.

He also starts to cry if I lie him flat on his back, but not every time.

Its not affecting his night sleeping, yet, but last night his last feed started at 9pm, and it was 11:30 before he'd finished and gone down for the night.

The feed before this was fine, both sides, no tears, 40 mins sleep after, then all hell broke loose.

I asked my GP about reflux previously, and he looked at Milo's throat and said it wasn't red, so he didn't think it was reflux, but that I could try him on OTC reflux medication if I wanted, as that should work if thats what he has, and won't cause a problem if its not.

Is it better to give somehting they take before a feed, or after? And what options are there?

Thanks! Sorry this is so long!

Have you tried an Osteopath? I found that really helped Maggie, she had reflux and some misalignment that caused her not to be able to turn her head properly. This really affected her feeding, particularly the position of the feed. After just one session there was improvement, but we took her to a number sessions.

He saw a cranial osteopath 2 or 3 times for his neck, but that was when he was 2 months old, and I did find it very helpful for his head turning issues.

I had the same symptoms with Dylan at 6-8 weeks old and it turned out my milk had dried up. Probably not the case with you though... I know how hard it is though when they cry as you try to feed them - it breaks your heart! Hang in there! :hugs:

My Osteo was able to help Maggie's reflux, so maybe another visit may be helpful.

What is happening with Milo sounds very similar to what I went through with Maggie at one stage. I am really trying to remember what helped her. I know the Osteo helped and I think I tried some Infants Friend. I also slept her at upright as possible for day naps. We used our highchair which has a recline position. I also fed her lying down where I could, but often she had to be tired to feed well. I did express when I thought she had not fed well to keep my supply going. We got over it, but I do remember how hard it was at the time.