Thread: Sick of all the medication but finally something is working

Default Sick of all the medication but finally something is working

Hello! My 4 month old Abby has had reflux since day one, so bad that she did not gain back up to her birth weight for the first 7 weeks or so. They started her on Axid and botanical, and then switched both of those to prevacid. The was spitting up that, so they added erythromiocyn (sp) in such a small dose that is doesn't act as an antibiotic, but helps her stomache to contract faster, and I am adding rice cereal in her milk, and FINALLY I see improvement!

How long will this reflux last? I don't want her to be on all this medication!

sonsangel Guest

OH you poor thing, I totally hear you with the med's. My Ds now 2, had silent reflux which began clearing up at around 8mths. I kept getting told it would go away when he was 6mths or when they begin solids but everytime we dropped the zantac that he was on or put his cot down flat again we'd start all the reflux problems again.
    I think the worst part was at 4 mths I was still giving up to 8-10 breastfeeds a day. Changed to expressed B/milk and he was only taking 110-150ml per feed if that. He couldn't handle more than that. Even with formula, same.
    It has to be one of the most frustrating illnesses. Just know that things will get better eventually. It's not going to be forever. I ended up stopping breastfeeding trying different formula's, thickener's etc. The thickener's only constipated him.
    Hopefully your DD wont be on med's for too long after she begins solids, and sits up etc. Good luck with everything.

Like Sonia's experience, my daughter's silent reflux slowed around 8 months. When Matilda was 8 1/2 months she was off all medication, she had a slight relapse around 9 1/2 months but it tended to be more about introducing whole cows milk into her diet rather than about reflux.

Zander still had the occasional reflux vomit up until about a month ago. We did however stop all meds around 10.5months.

Hi Brooke! What else did the paed say? Lucie was on Losec for a couple of months (the paed really had no idea what was wrong with her!). She was actually on the liquid one - do you have a compounding pharmacy anywhere near you? If so that's an option. Let me know how you go. With the liquid one Lucie actually quite liked it - just lapped it up from the syringe.

Oh no Brooke, poor Charli *hugs*