Thread: teeth cleaning

Default teeth cleaning

as you can see from my ticker Jack is just over 7 months has 7 teeth and #8 is peaking thru nealry

what I want to know is how to care for clean them, so far I let him suck a washer twice a day in his bath and wipe his mouth with a damp cloth after each solid feed, when should I use a toothbrush/toothpaste ??what type

Our health nurse said toothpaste was not great as they like the taste too much and swallow it - plus they don't know how to spit things out on demand. I think she recommended what you're doing - chewing a wet facewasher.

Not sure about when to start toothbrushes though....sorry no help!

Hey there

For the boys at that age I bought them a baby toothbrush and when they had thier baths I let them chew on it and just before I took it away I got them to let me wipes around thier mouths. so they could get used to me doing it. Around 12 months I bought the colgates baby toothpaste..

paradise lost Guest

Bit late, i'm only just seeing this now...

That's funny, in the UK we're told (by GP's etc. and dentists) to brush with a baby toothbrush and a smear of adult toothpaste as soon as the teeth errupt through the gum (unless it is super early and they're still 100% milk fed). We're told not to use the baby toothpaste as it doesn't have enough flouride in it to protect effectively from cavities. Also i took DD to the dentist with me for the 1st check-up (6-monthly) i had after she had teeth. The dentist didn't do much, looked in her mouth while i held it open (to avoid upsetting her and creating a bad memory), asked about her bottle/cup habits and what sort of things she eats, then gave her a sticker for being brave, lol, and that was it. I plan to take her to every check-up i have until, well, forever

It's funny the advice is different. That said i think British teeth are prety much WORLD famous for being terrible....

B

thanks everyone, we got him a stages toothbrush and each morning and evening during his bath he opens up and I brush them with water then let him play with it, and just before we get out I also wipe his motuh out with a soft cloth, when I have next dentist visit I plan to take them

hoobley I wonder if the water in UK doesn't have as much added fluoride

Rachel, wow at Jack having so many teeth. Thomas is the same age and has just 2 teeth. He got them at 5 months and hasn't had any since.

As for teeth cleaning, my dentist said that it's fine to use those baby ones until 12months or so, then start using a tooth brush like "my first toothbrush". At that age it's fine not to use toothpaste as long as you brush every surface. Apparently the mechanics of brushing is enough. Then around 2 to start using "my first toothpaste" and it's ok if they swallow some by 2 to get flouride into them (we don't have it in the water here).

This is what we did for Jack who is now 2 and his teeth are really good.

Melanie all 8 were thru by the 6th May he is now getting a molar on top and one on bottom talk about keen with his teeth

paradise lost Guest

Yeah that could be - i think they were phasing out Flouride in the water. Still odd though that it's SO different. As if being a parent wasn't confusing enough LOL.

I saw some sort of finger-gloves the other week that are for toothbrushing reluctant kids - you slip it over your finger and use just your finger to brush their teeth. Never tried them but DD LOVES her toothbrushing routine. First mummy does her own teeth to show how it's done, then mummy "starts" Esme's teeth, then, once i'm sure they're pretty clean, i let her chomp on the brush. The last few weeks she's been making very good attempts to do it "properly" So sweet...

Since Jesse's first tooth popped up he's had a toothbrush. At first he didnt like the brissles so i just gave it to him and now he just munches on it.. he's use to the sensation now so ill give them a little srub myself but usually just let him get the action going..