Thread: teething at 2-3 months??

Default teething at 2-3 months??

ok,i mean after i have had four kids i ought to know about this,but do you think Dominic could be teething yet??
    He drools and does nothing but chew on his hands and has started chewing on my nipple too,and as a result i am really sore today...
    Where the front four teeth are,there is nothing coming through,but next to the four front teeth's places on the top where the next two are (one on either side) they look like they are about to break through i.e you can see them under the gums where you cant see any of the other teeth...
    What does everyone think (if you can understand this! lol!!)

mooshie Guest

hi suzie

lani had all of the same signs at around 15wks but she finally cut her first tooth at 6 1/2 mths #-o , it was frustrating but i guess these things take time.

my ds cut his first 2 teeth at 12wks (i didn't even know they were there at first).

so it is possible they cut early - apparently the earlier they cut teeth the earlier they loose them - i am guess ds will lose his first tooth this year (he will be 5 in a couple of weeks) not looking forward to it, wobbly teeth gross me out lol.

good luck with everything

Hi Suzie,
    From my experience... I would say it is possible for them to start teething that young.
    I think Aidyn started developing his teething symptoms at around 3 months old, but his bottom 2 middle ones didn't come through until 5 months.
    Apparently if the teeth come through really early, there is a possibility that they may go back under the gum again as well, and re-cut a few times. This happened to Christy's daughter Matilda.

Also, I'm not sure on this, but is there meant to be a certain order in which the teeth are meant to cut? Or is that just fiction? I always assumed it was bottom 2 middle, then top 2 middle, but would love to hear if other's babies have been different...?

Melinda Guest

They say they should come through in a certain order, but it hasn't happened with Jacob, who has just cut his 6th tooth. He got the bottom two, then got the top two side ones before the middle two, if that makes sense.

I think his bottom teeth were coming through for a LONG time, even though they didn't pop through until around 5m.

Their teeth can move around in the gums for a long time before they break through. Often babies are just mouthing with the same signs as teething.

Asha however has been teething for about a month now (red cheeks, dribbling, swollen & hard gums) and she still has no teeth!!! They are sitting there in the gums, I can see them but they won't come through.

As for losing their teeth later if they take longer to come out ... Jack's teeth came through at the same time as Emma's and he hasn't lost any teeth yet and he is almost 7. Emma lost her first tooth in her 1st term of year 1 at the age of 5.

Just the luck of the draw!!!

Cheers

Lily started teething at 3mths and has just cut her first tooth a few weeks ago. Though it is only just through and has stopped for some reason?

mooshie Guest

thanks kelly for the info on losing the teeth - must be an old wives tale.

hopefully i will have a little while before i have to relive memories of my own childhood and lose teeth - toffee apples, string tied to tooth and pulled (although i don't know if that actually did happen lol) i just know i get a really weird feeling when i see a wobbly tooth - bit like the feeling when my belly button gets touched - but won't go there - too weird lol

Apparently teething early is a sign of intelligence & if a baby is born with a tooth it is apparently a sign of genius.....

Zander is 5w old today & he has a white spot on his top gum. He's been cranky for the last few days and keeps chomping on his hands. He's too young for this

Melinda Guest

LOL I hadn't heard that before!! Jacob had two white spots on his bottom gums from about 8w of age!! hehehe

Default reply

Should I worry, William is 6 mths and there's no sign of teeth at all. But I think they're coming he's had red cheeks the last few days and is dribbling abit, but he's always chewed his hands, MCHN saw him on Fri and didn't mention anything. He weighs 6.810kgs and is 66cms I forget, is that good? :-s

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H
    Apparently teething early is a sign of intelligence & if a baby is born with a tooth it is apparently a sign of genius.....
    I was born with my top eye teeth!!! No word of a lie, not just white spots on my gums either. I was nick named Fang in the nursery! I also went on to have alot of trouble with those teeth. I needed the baby ones pulled out as they didn't fall out as the adult teeth came in, the adult teeth just came out over the top. At 18 I had to haev 8 molars pulled out and braces for 2 years to bring my eye teeth back down to where they should have been. I don;t think that had anything to do with being born with the eye teeth, it was more so to do with haveing a narrow jaw line and just not enough room for all my teeth.

And I would not say I'm a genius, not by a long shot!

Default Re: reply

Quote Originally Posted by nadia
    Should I worry, William is 6 mths and there's no sign of teeth at all. But I think they're coming he's had red cheeks the last few days and is dribbling abit, but he's always chewed his hands, MCHN saw him on Fri and didn't mention anything. He weighs 6.810kgs and is 66cms I forget, is that good? :-s
    Sorry I forgot to reply to you, Evan didn't get his first tooth untill around 7 months and neither did Glenn.

As for Williams weights, you should have growth charts in your blue book (may be a different colour if your not in NSW) have a look on there, but do remember that these charts are based on mostly formula fed babies and breastfed babies tend to follow a different growth patern, so don't be alarmed if he isn't right up there for weight etc, as long as he is happy and healthy, he is probably doing just fine!

mooshie Guest

i think i mozzed myself the other day talking about my ds and his early teething and subsequent tales of people telling me the earlier they get them the earlier they lose them.

looks like i will be playing tooth fairy very soon - we have a very wobbly tooth only noticed the other day when he smiled and i thought hey that tooth looks crooked - i felt it i said gosh you have a wobbly tooth - yeah i know was the reply. he has been eating so many apples to try and get it out lol - he will be five on 6th may - makes me laugh jay is losing them and lani is getting them, will be interesting if every one he loses, lani gains lol.

Just thought I would add this in! I have worked in the dental bizz for 10 years now and while there is meant to be anrder to the erruption of teeth, it so rarely happens that way that I dont know who came up with the theory. I have seen teeth that come though at 8 weekd and also other kids who are 18 months who still don't have any!!

Its just going to happen when it wants! Just hope that they do it fairly simply. If anyone is interested in a teething lotion you can make up at home out of natural oils etc, feel free to email me and I can forward it to you!

Good luck with the teething

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Those who mentioned white spots, do you mean little dotty things or spots as in just looking like teeth coming through? Cos babies can get thrush in their mouths and it comes out in little white spots, it's quite common. Elijah had a couple recently but they went, Marisa's got worse and we had to do all the medicine thing. But he's nearing teething now at 6 months, he has a line where the two bottom teeth are coming through poor chooky...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Quote Originally Posted by Ambah
    Also, I'm not sure on this, but is there meant to be a certain order in which the teeth are meant to cut? Or is that just fiction? I always assumed it was bottom 2 middle, then top 2 middle, but would love to hear if other's babies have been different...?
    Mason got his top two front teeth first at 8mths, one Friday night, one Sunday night The next weekend got his two bottom teeth, one Friday night, one Sunday night. I was dreading the next weekend as there was lots of crying the rest came through with no grizzles only a bit of nappy rash.
    My Nephew is One and he only recently got two bottom teeth.

Alex got his two bottom teeth within 24 hours of each other, two weeks before he turned one. He had acid green poo for a week beforehand and was really grizzly.

He then proceeded (at about 15 months) to get his two middle top teeth.

At about 17 months he got FOUR molars in one weekend. (one each side, top and bottom!)

About a week later he got his two top teeth so now he has four.

At about 19 months he got his left bottom second tooth (he then had three on the bottom).

At about 22 months (about two months ago) he got his right bottom second tooth (he has four now!)

So he has four on top, four on the bottom, and four molars!?? And big gaps between the front teeth and the molars! So funny!