Thread: Teething - purple gums?

angelfish Guest

Default Teething - purple gums?

Milly is in the process of cutting her first molars. The gums started to swell up a few weeks ago, and she's been dribbling lots. This week she has two molars through and a third one visible just below the skin. But in the fourth spot there's no sign of a tooth, and it's all purple like a bad bruise. We never had this with any of George's teeth: is it a normal symptom or should I be getting it checked out?

Last edited by angelfish; July 22nd, 2006 at 08:20 AM.

I have no clue, sorry angelfish. I'm still waiting to see any signs of teeth with Tallon If it's worrying you, it won't hurt to get her checked out.

The signs I'm looking for are red gums, and white teeth buds. Don't know if purple is normal or not.

angelfish Guest

Hi Ivana, just noticed your reply here, and thought I'd mention that it cleared up fine. I suspect she might have had a bump and got a bruise, bc it only stayed purple for a few days.

Tallon doesn't need teeth, he looks SO cute with a gummy smile

LOL.. dunno if the ladies will like him with his gummy smile when he's 21 tho! LOL. It's so funny to watch him chomping his gums together like an old man tho. hehehehe.

Beebee Guest

Hi
    It's an "eruption cyst" & they are common, basically a blood blister. As the tooth erupts tiny blood vessels leak & the blood catches uder the skin causing bluish/purple swelling or bruising. It can look quite dramatic & resolves as the tooth erupts. Perfectly normal.

angelfish Guest

Aha! Thank you Beebee.