Thread: Teething Question....

Melody Guest

Default Teething Question....

Probably a silly one but Hunter has been a 7pm-7am sleeper since forever & all of a sudden he is waking at 5am SCREAMING down the house.

He is teething & I think it is looking like the 'big boys' (front two on top) are coming. Is this sleepless-ness also a teething related thing? I would have no clue as to how to assess bad dreams etc. No tummy pains but he has begun pooing very early in the morning (like 6am nappy fill) could that be acidic? maybe stinging him?

He has the bright red cheeks & teething cry but this middle of the night, right on 5am. is a new struggle? Is it just teething do you think?

not too sure but eliana had the red cheeks etc when she was teething - i read somewhere that if a baby wakes up out of the blue that around 4-5am that they may be cold - though it does seem strange to wake up that suddenly so maybe his teeth are hurting

Melody Guest

i thought about the cold thing too & have had him in flanalettes for the past 10 days (ish) with socks etc. Our unit is pretty warm still though (I can get up & walk arond in underwear)

The fact that it is at the same time each night has got me stumped.....

heya melody, ethan's been doing exactly the same thing for the last few days! but he's only 5 months old.. can he be teething this early? he's exactly the same as hunter though... was sleeping from 8pm to 6am for ages and then all of a sudden he wakes up for 2 - 3am feeds and is really sooky when we put him back in his cot. he's also got the bright red cheeks and doing the really early morning poohs.

i wonder how long this will go on for...??

Do you think the 6am poo could be related to the 5am wakeup and screaming?? Just because I know the sometimes Aidyn gets very upset, and I have absolutely no idea what is wrong for an hour or more... then he does a poo and is totally normal afterwards.
    So maybe it is causing him some discomfort?
    Although I wouldnt rule out the teeth being the problem either... Aidyn was always had a shocking time with teething and waking up in pain... its just so hard to know isnt it...

Melody Guest

B*gger! I have no idea.....

Dana maybe you have a teething bub on your hands, it is certainly not unheard of to have a 5 month old with toothy pegs on the way.

Ambah I know that the poo is out of the 'norm' which is why i have been eager to link the two situations together....

I just dont know what to do to help him......

Poor Hunter - Maggie is normally a morning pooer and I am sure it is what wakes her up. She tosses and turns for about an hour before waking. If she was in her cot at that time she would probably wake earlier, but in bed she seems to go back to sleep for short bursts.

So I think could be right in connecting the 2. Not sure how to fix it though. Maybe some tummy calm type of product, eg Infants Friend, I think Brauer's have something similar.

Kirsty77 Guest

Oh Melody what a bugger! I'd say its probably a teething thing. Whenever Gem is teething it comes on all of a sudden, she starts to get grizzly and she does a teething poo then is so out of sorts from then on. Gem is a 6pm-6am sleeper and has been since 3 months and when she wakes its never because shes cold its because of her teeth. I've been dressing her warm as well and I know if she wakes its not of the cold. Does Hunter let out any little grizzles through the night or early morning but is still asleep? I only ask cause sometimes Gem lets out little sounds in the early hours while shes still asleep so I know somethings up. I hope Hunter feels better soon...........

edited to add........forgot to ask...might be tmi but what does the poo look like? 8-[ If its really runny and as an odd smell(yeh I know all poo smells!)then it is a teething thing, if not his morning poo is hard to get out! :-k

Hi Melody,

Kaitlyn was a 730pm-530amish sleeper until her teeth started coming in ! . When they first cut through she was waking anytime from 1030pm onwards and sometimes multiple times during the night. Last night she woke at 230am and then 530am for feeds ..arghh WHAT THE???. And poos....wowa! we were getting sometimes 5 in a day when the teeth were first cutting . She was also very clingy and hard to get back to sleep.

So it could be teeth!. Have you tried bonjella? You could pop it on when he wakes in the morning and see if it makes a difference. No harm in trying I guess. I did not need it until Kaitlyn was 6.5months so I cant remember how old a bubs needs to be to use it.

By the way this has been going on for almost 3 weeks now ..I am one tired mumma.

Cass

Mel I would definately say teeth too. It really does mess their little routines about doesnt it. Sammy is a very regular pooer...every morning between 8-9 and he turned into a 3 a day for about 2 weeks! I hope they cut soon and dont cause Hunter much more grief.

Jo

Melody Guest

Cas I am one tired Mumma too!

Thanks so much for all your replies ladies, you have confirmed the situation for me. The sh**ty thing is (pardon the pun) that these are not his first teeth.... he already has three but they seemed to come in with minimal fuss.

I think a tummy calmer might be the way to go.... his little cheeks are like beacons The morning poos are always soft & pasty but during the day they become firm & 'normal'.

Will he 'click' back into a normal sleeper again? is this something that lasts for ever now? He was up at 5.30am thismorning & cried until I got him up at 6.20am..... poor little man

My little man did the same thing, usually at 1.00am though. He was in pain with his teeth. He also seemed to wee alot whilst teething, and needed extra nappy changes.