Thread: Tough couple of days.. reflux? Colic?

Unhappy Tough couple of days.. reflux? Colic?

Its not been a great few days...

Bella is sick , she is crying constantly , she crys when you pick her up, when you put her down, when she is lying, when she is sitting and its even worse when you try and feed her! She will drink about 1/2 her bottle and then when you burp her and lie her down to have the rest she starts to scream and goes all stiff like a board , so Ill put her over my shoulder and burp her some more but she still goes stiff and still screams if she isn't screaming she is making a grunting noise and kinda drawing her legs up to her chest ? so like a little ball so my guess is that it?s a pain of some sort. She has also started having A LOT of saliva and then little spews after the bits of the bottle that she will drink? to make matters worse she REFUSES to sleep during the day, she may have maybe on or two 1/2 hrs cat naps but that's it..
    This may sound like she is just being a baby but its just so out of character for her that I know something is wrong..I am really struggling with 2.5 hrs sleep last night and worrying about the paed looking at her head x-rays today.. im constantly in tears.

I took her to the doctors today and she thinks that she may have reflux.. im not so sure but I am willing to try and see if the Losec makes any difference?

I have just come back from a 2 hr walk as that's the only time that I can get her to sleep.. I am so tiered! The house is a mess and we have money worries after we had to pay $400 excess on our car when the crash was not our fault? then the ppl who own the house next door have gone and got the fence replaced to that's another $400 that we didn't count on and all this when my matt leave (saved up annual leave) has just ran out..

Has anyone elses bub been through things like this?? Maybe its just a phase that will end soon??

Anyway thanks for listening? it turned into a mini vent! Feels better to get it all out..

Kate xox

Last edited by Jakabella; March 16th, 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Oh Kate, it is so hard when they have these days and it seems so much worse when we haven't had our sleep either..

It does sound like pain.. Have you tried laying her on her tummy and rubbing her back. That usually helped when our DD had wind pains at that age..

Hope you get some rest soon..
    Last edited by Doing my best; March 16th, 2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: misread orignal post..

Huge hugs hun!

She definitely sounds like she's out of sorts. My DD does that back arch/refuse to feed/stiff as a board thing when she is completely over tired. I had a week of that last week where she would NOT sleep day or night, or feed properly etc.

I just spent a day at home with her with basically no stimulation and used a baby sling heaps to bring her back to base. She is like a new baby this week.

It wouldn't hurt to see your caregiver, but maybe she is just learning a new skill and struggling to switch off her little brain for sleep and getting into a vicious over-tired spiral.

Not sure if that's very helpful, but I hope it passes!

Thanks ladies,

She sleeps through all night and then some so night time is great! Its the day time that she struggles with.
    I am going to stay at home this week and work on her day sleeps and see if that helps..

Thanks again..

Kate xox

Oh hon I feel your pain

My DS is going through the exact same thing at the moment, I could have literally written your post word for word. I went to the GP today and he too thinks that DS has reflux. I started him on losec today as I am at my wits end I just dont know what to do anymore. Hopefully it works. DS just cried and cried all day and I couldn't get him to sleep at all. It was horrible

Please PM me if you want a shoulder to cry on or a vent as I am literally going through the exact same thing at the moment. I might need to PM you too!

DS and I are going to have a pyjama day tomorrow. No stimulation and plenty of cuddles and kisses. I hope it works and I hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Hugs Isabel!!
    Im about to put bella to bed and head my self! I hope tat we both have better nights tonight!
    Please feel free to PM me and we will def chat tomorrow and see if we can sort this stuff put together!!

Kate xox

You have just described my week DD has been getting increasingly distressed. You can HEAR the regurgitation just before she screams this bloodcurdling, heartbreaking noise. She is sucking at her fist, trying to stick it down her throat. She is drooling soooooo much my tops get wet (as well as hers). She doesn't vomit but she is in such pain. Zantac didn't help so we started on losec today. Tonight has been so much better so I am hoping she will sleep, I will sleep and tomorrow will be a less painful day for everyone.

StephV Guest

How are your bubs going now? Its probably been a month since last post. I'm also interested to know if Losec has worked when the Zantac didn't. I'm using Zantac now on the double dose and not much improvement

Hey Steph,

Bella is 100% better! She gets 2.5mls of Losac disolved in water 2ce a day. I was sceptiacl that it was reflux so I took her off it and she went bacwards so I make sure I give her does first think in the morning and then about 7 o'clock at night and she is fine. She only spews every now and again and she never grunts and screams in pain at all. Her days sleeps have gotten so much better as well - she will have about 4-5 45 mins sleeps during the day and sleeps from 8.00 pm thru till 8 am evey night with out waking at all.

I will keep using the Losec for the 4 months the doctor sugested and then see how we go - she will be starting solids in 2 months or so so Ill see how it all goes.

Also the doctor said that even if it wasnt reflux the Losec will not hurt them so it was safe for her to take to try.... but she is SO much better that Ill be continuing,

Hope that helps!

Kate

StephV Guest

Hi Kate

How long do you think it took to kick in? I've had Lirri on Zantac for about 2 weeks and only noticed minimal change?

Steph,

I think from memory (that isnt the sharpest these days!!) I saw a change in a week... it got better eveyday but after a week she was very happy and back to her normal self.

For what its worth my Dr said that they dont oftern perscribe Zantac anymore becasue it doesnt work in a lot of bubs.. but I guess evey bub is different.

Kate

StephV Guest

Thanks Kate, I'm going to see the paed tomorrow so will ask to change then