Thread: When Can I take my bub off the medication?

Default When Can I take my bub off the medication?

Hi,
    My 4 month old is on Losec (1 daily) for his mild reflux. I am just wondering when other mums have taken their bubs of Losec? Did you find that they no longer had reflux or did you have to put them back on the Losec? My Dr said to try and take him off and if he is fine then keep him off but if he starts being in pain etc. again put him straight back on... What age do they generally "grow" out of reflux? Thanks xxoo

Last edited by River; February 18th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

he does still spew little bits after a feed so i might just keep an eye on that and then take him off the Losec once he stops spewing. thanks for the info..

Losec wont stop the vomit, but it will decrease the acid content in the vomit so that it doesn't burn.

All kids are different when it comes to reflux, some outgrow it at 2 months and most have outgrown it by a year. I generally wait until things are pretty steady and then try and wean it, you can try and cut down the dose a little bit and see how it goes.

Just remember as they grow the symptoms change, so you may be looking at things like food refusal, bad sleeping as well as being irritated and crying.

Good luck!

I might just leave him on it.. do you know if there are any long term effects of Losec (I will be sure to double check with my GP next time), just interested to know if you know??? LOL
    He sleeps through the night and is just an angel of a child (touch wood) so I don't really want to alter anything unless absolutely necessary, if you catch my drift....

Apparently there are no known long term effects on losec, it has been around a long time and is deemed a pretty safe drug. But in saying that I don't like Parker being on it still, he is almost 3 and a half, but the alternative is not so pretty so we keep him on it.

But I haven't noticed any bad effects, he does get hyper on the losec brand tablet, so we use acimax compound that seems to do the trick!