Thread: why wont she settle???

alex c Guest

Default why wont she settle???

My little girl is 1 month old and she is a prem baby,her weight now is 2.7kgs i was breastfeeding her for around 2weeks then my milk supply slowed right down so i couldnt keep up as she wanted to eat every 20 minutes...so then i started her on karicare for around a week that didnt agree either...so we went to the baby doctor and he told us to start her on nan ha gold as that will help with her constipation well iv had more problems...she wants a feed at least every 2 hrs then after i feed her she she sometimes burps even if im rubbing her back for 45 min she may go without a burp then when i put her down she starts arching her back crying then she will settle for 10 min and then again...im going mad i honestly dont know what to do any advise please tell me....... :-k forgot to mention she is supposed to drink 90mls and she only drinks between 50-70mls......

all babes are different. my 1st child (now 2 1/2) drank smaller amounts than on the tin instructions but sleep 5-6 hours...my 2nd child (5wks) is feeding every 2 hours, he drinks the correct dosage on the time but only sleeps about and 1 or 2 and he weighs 5kg. the health centre said he must be needing it.

sugar in the bottle worked wonders for my daughters constipation (from the book BABY LOVE)...infacol drops are great for wind i use them with my son...he also did the whole back arching thing too but i think we have his problem resolved with the reflux. im off to the doctor next week for his 6 week checkup and to also get him some zantac.

i hope this helps and makes sense...just take it easy and don't stress it only makes the problem worse.

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma also fed every two hours and was formula fed. I swear by infacol drops also and Gemma was a nightmare to burp. Goodluck...the first 6 weeks are always the hardest.

alex c Guest

thanks for the reply guys its helped me out...We took Tiyana to our family doctor and she told me that she has reflux and colic...the formula im giving Tiyana (nan ha gold)is making her put on weight thank god...we started putting gripe water in her milk and it worked but she still is very hard to burp so i will try infacol and see how i go...as for the reflux the doctor told me to put food thickener (karicare)in her milk so i just tried that now at her 1:30 feed still with no burp but i will see how i go....do you think that is ok?

Alex - how are you burping? There are different techniques.

I found what worked for Maggie was to hold her upright against my chest with my breast against her tummy. I would then rub upwards with my right hand on her left side (as that is where the stomach is) I would only apply pressure on the upward stroke. That was the most successful for me. DH has his own technique for her, but that takes big strong hands to do.

I know reflux is not fun. Good luck I hope it gets better soon.

alex - i put aiden onto S26 AR it has the thickener in it already...much easier. aiden burps a couple of different ways. *lying on his tummy on the floor (just put a cloth nappy or something under them to catch the overflow), *lying on my chest patting his back, *holding him upright, but i found the floor method the best.

take care