Thread: Zantac

maggie Guest

Default Zantac

Hi

My local GP got me on DS .6ml of zantac twice a day.. it didnt seem to help. i have a paed appt on monday to really diagnose the reflx, but i was wondering what dosgae their newborn was on with the zantac.. DS is 6weeks, thanks

I'll try and find my sliding scale for you but it does take 2 weeks to work.

Good luck, you'll find plenty of stories and sympathy here.

Yeah Maggie they do calculate how much off the weight of bubs.
    Nixon started Zantac at about 8weeks and was on 0.5ml 3 times a day.
    didnt seem to make much of a difference to begin with (But it can take up to a week-two to work) then he went ok but then dropped back off again, so then he was increased to 1ml 3 times a day (he was then 4months), which was when he was about 5kg by memory??
    (Paed said at the time this was on the lower scale of dosages too)

WoW Ronan's does is huge compared to the rest of your bubs..

Ronan has been on 1.1ml 3 times a day since he was 1 week old (corrected) meaning only 1 week old if born on due date and we have only just changed it to 2 times a day.. He was on the 1.1ml from 4kgs & is now 7kgs but the paed would prefer to cut down the amount of times as apposed to the doseage amount..

teensyweensy Guest

Jack didn't get prescribed Zantac until he was 3 months old. He was on 1.3 mils once a day. Later the Paed changed him to Losec twice a day and this seems to work alot better! and Paed said if he has a break thru of acid then we give Zantac for 2-3 days along with the Losec. Good Luck, hope you get some good results. Agree with the others it usually takes about 2 weeks to see results.

julesy Guest

My nina Was 4-5 weeks old when she was started on zantac. She was just under 5kg, and the paediatrician started her on 1.3ml 3 times a day. It started working within 48 hours.

Generally I think it is the norm to start with a low dose then adjust it accordingly...my paediatrician however didn't beat around the bush so to speak. I'm glad he did, because of the immediate relief it brought.