Thread: 5 month sleep regressed

Default 5 month sleep regressed

Rylee has never been a great sleeper,.....but now for the past week she has been waking every 1-2 hours during the night - still hopeless at sleeping during the day max 45 mins at a time but that is another story. But if I could just get 3-4 hours continuous sleep I could deal with the day time. She is 5 months and prior to this we had her waking up twice in the night. I can't think of anything that has changed, when she wakes I don't think she is wanting booby as she only on there for a couple of mins before falling asleep again, so I think it is a comfort thing. Is this just a phase she is going through? Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
    Laurin

hi laurin i have have 2 year old twin girls and i went through exactly what ur going through but twice. the best thing i ever did was controlled crying. my twins were rocked to sleep for months and months until i was getting no sleep then i started the controlled crying and yes it did break my heart for a few weeks and i felt like the worlds worst mum but im glad i did it. i started them on the same routine before bed, dinner, bath, bottle, story book then bedtime the sametime everynight id put them down give them i kiss and say " goodnight, mummy loves you and im just outside. im going anywhere" then id lay them down. Yes they did break there heart and scream id go in there afta 5mins and reapeat the saying lay them back down. Then id go in afta 6mins, then 7mins, then 8 mins and so on until they fell asleep repeating the goodnight saying each time. it took a good three weeks but it worked and they started sleeping all night. It was very very hard but you have to be so strong because hearing you baby scream is difficult but you will enjoy it in the long run. I hope whatever you decide works. let me know id love to hear how things went.

Sarah

Im going through the same kinda of thing, but my little bub is only just 4 months. he was sleeping through the night, but has started waking a couple of times a night. i just put it down to a growth spurt, or teething? who knows! i just remind myself they dont stay bubs forever!

When she wakes how upset is she? I found at one stage Ashleigh was waking exact same times every night and I knew she wasn't always hungry but if I went in to her she'd only settle with the breast.
    So one night she was grizzly crying and I thought I'll not go in and see what happens. It went on and off for about 10-15 mins then she was asleep. Maybe see if you can stretch her out like that? In a couple nights she stopped waking at that time. If she is getting quite upset then go in and see maybe if you can settle her without getting her up?
    I know though at night when you are sleep deprived you just don't want anything that will take awhile to settle them when you know the boob will do the trick in minutes.
    You could keep going as you are and hope its a phase but if it goes on too long maybe see your MCHN and she could refer you somewhere for help.

I'd say it's a phase. They go through lots of these!

I reckon if you've got boobs - use em! LOL. I'm always feeding Tallon to sleep, especially through the night. There's no harm in providing the comfort they're waking up for. Would be scary to be in a dark room all alone and no-one coming when you need them

We've had stages of frequent waking and we've found co-sleeping the easiest way to get through. Less effort for feeding through thte night, and plus DS doesn't have to wake up as much.. so goes back to sleep easier. If he's in his room, he has to be more awake and making more noise for me to wake up and go in to him iykwim. We've had no problems with this being a bad thing.. once he's through the "phase" he sleeps back in his cot in his room.

Could she be cutting teeth? Sleep & needing comfort through the night has been our main teething symptom.

I hope it all settles down for you soon.

Sarah, just letting you know that this part of BellyBelly is for Comforted Sleep & No Cry Sleep Solutions.

Comforted Sleeping - No-Cry Sleep Solutions For those who choose to comfort their baby to sleep, co-sleep or use any other methods of no-cry, gentle sleeping. Share experiences and seek advice from other mums doing the same if you are looking for gentle answers on sleeping issues. This is NOT a forum for Controlled Crying or other cry it out sleep methods. Please post these discussions in General Baby Discussion or they will be removed.