Thread: Any probs those using hammocks?

Default Any probs those using hammocks?

Just wanted to ask a question to those who have used the hammocks...I read a thread in recommend products and decided that I want to get probably the Amby Hammock. Then the other night I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with bubs sleeping elsewhere after using the hammock. For example: visiting someone during the day or overnight if you haven't taken the hammock? My SIL is using a hammock and when they brought the baby over here there was more tip toeing etc cos she said he'd wake...but at their house they don't seem to do this. Hence my question

oh I hadn't thought of that one Cass!! What I did with Matilda in the port-a-cot when she was little was practice runs, so I would give her a day sleep or something during the week before we tried going somewhere else for a weekend or something, so maybe thats worth trying putting them down on a bed or somewhere that you can take with you easier.

hey there,

i recently hired the amby hammock cause lachlan just wouldnt sleep, it was good the first couple of times that we used it but really didnt assist with him sleeping any longer. I too was worried that he would get used to it and not sleep anywhere else but i was just using it during the times that he was the worst ie, overnight and then sleeping him in his cot during the day. they recommend that you only use the hammock but there is no harm in rotating.

The other thing is that the lady that i hired it off said that after a couple of months of using the hammock, most babies have settled into a sleeping pattern and its really not as hard to get them to sleep anywhere, not sure how true this is though.

Good luck and let me know how you go with it!!

DEE - can you please tell me where you were able to hire the amby hammock? (I'm thinking of trying one, but dont want to buy one in case Charlotte doesnt respond to it)

Hey there,

i typed in Baby Hammock on the internet and i found a company that hires them, im not sure if i can tell you the company name but im sure if you look on the internet you wil find them.

good luck, i hope it works for you, i highly recommend hiring though!!

Hi
    I used a Amby hammock from when Luke was around 5 months old. I got to the point where I would have tried anything to help him sleep. I really liked it .. Luke still did not sleep all that well but I think it was comforting when he was moving around that it swung on its own and had a bit of movement.
    We used to take it with us as a portacot as it was actually easier than the porta cot.
    It was not too bad moving him into a cot but i did it when he started getting out of the hammock on his own.
    I will definately use it again for #2 if when i mannage to concieve !

Jane

We used a hammock for Olivia & Charlie and now for Lexie too. I have found, in my experience, that it helps them establish a good sleep habit early on of self settling, and have had no problems using it as a portacot at all: it is easier than a portacot to put up and down and carry.

That said, as newborns to 6 months, my 3 have always slept OK in their car capsule as a temp measure (ie if we have gone to a friends for dinner), or in the stroller on walks. We did a few interstate one night trips (ie the BB conference last year) where I didn't take the hammock, and as long as Charlie was wrapped and boobed as usual, he slept no problem at all just in his stroller........

Cee_Cee99 Guest

my hammock comes with a metal attachment that fits over a door frame or tree branch. i recently went away for a week and took the hammock. i used one bag (Internatinal hand luggage size) which fit my clothes for the week, Ally's clothes for the week and the hammock! So for me it is much easier to take away than a port a cot as it is just some material and a big spring! The hammock is called Natures Sway. Good luck with it.

Thanks I know my son didn't have probs sleeping anywhere but I didn't use a hammock with him. I love the whole concept of the hammock and the self settling sounds great to me too.

kali Guest

Hi
    I have a hammock "in waiting" but am scouting around for a cot too in case things don't work out.
    Has anyone succesfully used a sound & movement monitor (i.e @[email protected]) in the hammock? I stupidly didn't think about the need for a hard surface for teh movement detection pads, but using a sheet of plywood as suggested would surely negate the benefit of the hammock mattress being body contouring??
    cheers
    kali

Kali, I investigated it, and we borrowed an Angelcare monitor to see if we could make it work with our hammock, but no.....failure......it beeped all the time and drove me mad!

We used a hammock for Zander from about 2 months old & he had no problems sleeping anywhere else when he was using it.