Thread: Bad Dreams? Or Pain?

Unhappy Bad Dreams? Or Pain?

Hi All

I think Jasmine is having nightmares, or bad dreams or something weird is going on, but I didnt know babies could have nightmares or things like that. So is this normal or is it called something else? Or is it pain she might be feeling from teething?

Normally, Jasmine sleeps right through the night, on average 12 hours, and doesnt even stir. She sometimes lets out a yell every now and then, but never wakes herself up, nothing usually does. Last night, she let out a huge yell... more like a howl and was faintly crying. Of course I immediately picked her up, but she was asleep. Totally asleep, slightly snoring lol. I put her back down and around an hour later, same thing... Huge Yell.... extremely loud, then sleep crying/whimpering... I ended up getting so upset for her that I just sat next to her and patted/shushed her for hours, while she slept and didnt get up til 9.30am! Whether I wanted to or not, I couldnt sleep at all because I was a bit confused about what I should be doing.

Naturally I comfort her, but if she is asleep, then what else can I do? Should I attempt to wake her if it is a bad dream, do I wake her to let her know its not real and that Mummy is here....? Or is it something else?

I discussed this with a couple of friends of mine, and one of them said its not bad dreams, its pain from her teething. The only thing is, Jasmine hasnt been that bad with her teething, and already has some with the next ones ready to pop, you can feel them. I just find that everything to do with Jasmine that I ask about lately to friends or family seems to end with "its just teething" so I dont know how much weight to put into that answer. They might be right, but why wouldnt this have happened before when the sensation was new, rather than now? IYKWIM?

Anyway I just thought I would ask here. She has already let out one yell tonight so I thought best to ask, than to go through another night confused and stressed like last!

Thanks in Advance for your replies!

Hey Kate,

Kynan used to do that when he was younger too. I'd forgotten about it til I saw your post. I can't remember when he last did it so I guess maybe he's grown out of it. But he used to do it quite often. He'd cry out briefly in his sleep, really loud and sudden like he was in pain or frightened. It'd have me leaping up and racing to the bedroom to see what was wrong but I'd get there and he'd be asleep LOL. I don't know what causes it but in the end I just waited whenever I heard him cry like that to see if it developed into a proper 'I'm awake and need someone' cry. Most of the time he just stayed asleep so I let him be.

Hi Kate!! Definitely just let her go if she's still asleep!! Coco does the same and I count my blessings the times that she resettles herself, or doesn't wake up at all. As you know,, we don't have that that often!!
    Babies can have night terrors, not sure when they start, but could be that. I wouldn't be too worried, especially if it's not waking her!!
    oxxoxo

littlerigger Guest

Hey there,
    Ryan has what we call "baby nightmares" too and he's only 1 month old!! He cries like he's in heaps of main but is completely asleep when he does it and stay asleep after. It freaks me out but as Angel said, I now wait for real cries too.

hi there

Brodie does the same thing - admitedly he has been teething quite badly lately but then again it feels like he's been teething for the last 6 months!!! I also leave him alone in the hope that it doesn't develop into a full blown howl - by this time i have negotiated with DH who is going to go in next...

Did some night terror researchand apparently they happen in the beginning of the night, go for about 10-20 mins and bubs doesn't wake properly. Does that sound like Jasmine?? Also, haven't heard from you in a while so maybe she was getting your flu? I hope not though, hope to hear from you soon xoxo