Thread: Co sleeping - dont think he knows we're there

Default Co sleeping - dont think he knows we're there

We dont co sleep much at all because I find it hard to sleep. I wake to every noise and worry about the blankets and pillows etc. But on the occassion that we have brought him into our bed, if he stirs and cries, I essentially have to sit up and pick him up for him to realise that his cry has been answered. Cuddling on the bed just doesnt work! Could this be because normally he's in his room, and I respond by picking him up? Its really frustrating and puts me off co-sleeping even more. How do you settle them while in bed?

I'm guessing as he gets older and understands more, co sleeping might work better for all of us. I love the idea of him being in our bed in the early morning (not all night). Do you think he'll get the idea eventually?

Seth hates co-sleeping as did his sister. I found it so hard with Paris not to take it personally (I think on a few occasions I did, but that was partly due to PND) whereas with Seth I know its not personal as now Paris LOVES to be in our bed and will often come in for midnight cuddles, its just as a baby she loved her own space. However this morning I took him into bed with me as I am sick with a cold and couldn't face standing over his cot till he fell asleep as he was unsettled and I thought if he was sick too he might want the closeness. Well I had his head lying on my arm sort of similar to if I were nursing him and just shushed and semi rocked him with my arm whilst patting him on the bottom with the other hand and he calmed down, then I just stroked his face till he fell asleep. Then when he was deep in sleep (I normally wake up all crooked LOL) I moved him from my arm and gave him his own space and me mine. Isn't it funny to go to all this trouble just so they co-sleep LOL! Most people have trouble trying to get them into cots LOL!

But I do know what you mean I do find that if he does co-sleep (I think maybe three times successfully LOL) I do have to pick him to calm him. Maybe its something they get used to the more they co-sleep?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ivana....Maddy only really settles in bed with us when she feeds...then she drifts off to sleep. She doesnt seem to be able to settle even in bed with us unless she is fed off to sleep.

I envy those that can feed to sleep! *sigh*

*hugs*
    Cailin

I actually feed to sleep In fact it's got to the point where he falls asleep too soon during normal feeds and I need to do something like change his nappy to wake him up to finish his feed. hehe.
    Last edited by Liz; May 10th, 2006 at 09:44 PM.

We co slept in the early days because it meant I didn't need to get out of bed to BF. Basically I would settle him by offering him BM (unless of course he had just fed in which case I would put him on my chest and pat or rock him)

When he was between 6-9 months he started to be comfortd just by us being there and now he only comes in early in the morning or if he has a bad dream.

It is a really special time and I love it still!

Yeah.. I remember climbing into bed with mum when dad had got up to get ready for work. I used to love it. And every saturday morning I used to climb into bed with both mum and dad, and dad would tell me a story. He'd make it up every time! Not bad for a saturday morning! hehehe. So I'm looking forward to when Tallon's older letting him climb into our bed in the mornings

I always have Imran sleeping on a little bassinet protecter or similar to catch the vomit, when he gets fussy I slide him down on his protecter and then I lie on my side and pop a boob in his mouth and when he goes back to sleep I slide the protector back up. Because I'm moving what he's sleeping on not him it doesn't disturb him IYKWIM.
    No wonder he's so fat - every time he complains I feed him LOL.

Boobie is really the only thing that will settle here and if that doesn't then I need to pick her up. I have a really cuddly bub, who loves to sleep with someone.

Tehya still wakes up overnight - several times and the only thing that gets her back off is boob. When she was little I would have to pick her up to comfort but then I would just lay down and give her boobie and she would feed and go back to sleep. Once she crashed out I would just push her away from me on the bed and fall back to sleep til the next feed. Hmmm still doing it now at 14 months too. Don't know if it's a great habit to get into.

Trish...I could have written that myself. We are exactly the same here.

Jo