Thread: Day sleep

Default Day sleep

Tamsin usually won't sleep during the day unless she is rocked in my (or DH's) arms, or feeds to sleep in my arms. This would be fine, except that she almost always wakes up if we try to put her down anywhere once she is asleep. Will she grow out of this on her own, or are there things we should be doing to help her stay asleep? TIA!

Matilda did the same thing for her first 10 weeks, I often would have her in the sling so she would get continuous sleep & then after a while I would start to lay her down 10 minutes after she'd fallen asleep and I would put her down where ever I was, so in the same room and put her on her side & rock her slightly because she fell asleep with movement. However, this didn't always work, but worth a try! Good luck!

Kynan used to be like that - quite happy to fall asleep in my arms or on the breast but the minute I tried to put him down in his cot he'd wake up and cry. He spent quite some months having most of his day sleeps in the sling but now he's just started going back to sleeping in his cot for his day sleeps. However he now needs to be wrapped & rocked to sleep and I have a very gentle procedure worked out for putting him in his cot. It doesn't worry me though as it all obviously makes him feel safe & secure, only takes a few minutes, and I imagine with time he'll need less help going to sleep. So yes, perhaps Tamsin will grow out of it (hopefully LOL).

Thanks for your replies!

Christy, I have tried putting her in the sling, but I get worried that she sleeps for too long at a time when she's in it, so I don't like doing it all the time... I might try gradually taking her out a bit earlier though and see how it goes.

Fletch, I love having her go to sleep that way, and often I don't mind if she stays asleep with me, but it makes it hard to get much done! I start to feel a bit guilty for not getting anything done around the house 8-[ The main thing is not actually getting her to sleep, but getting her to stay asleep if I try to move her to her own bed.

Angel, it's encouraging to hear that Kynan grew out of something similar - there is hope for me too!

I read somewhere that you have to wait for bubs to get into deep sleep before moving them.
    They said the way you know is that they will open their palms from a fist postition.
    I have been watching Jordan settle to sleep and he opens up his hands when he has flaked it.
    Maybe wait for this sign and then move Tamsin, worth a try.
    Why not try putting a tshirt of yours in her bed that way she will still smell you, and she may not realise you have put her down.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip Tracey, I will try looking out for the open hands thing. Tamsin has actually stayed asleep a couple of times lately, I think when she's been deeply asleep as you've suggested, so maybe if I watch for her hands relaxing I will have a better idea when to try moving her. I have tried the t-shirt trick but it doesn't seem to help.

Gah it didn't look like it had worked and I can't seem to delete the extra posts, sorry!

Debbie Lee Guest

I love having her go to sleep that way, and often I don't mind if she stays asleep with me, but it makes it hard to get much done! I start to feel a bit guilty for not getting anything done around the house
    I SO know what you mean, Fenella. I used to feel the same way when Gabby liked being cuddled to sleep (and liked to take an hour or so to feed!). Looking back, though, I wish I had relaxed a little more and not let the lack of housework affect me. Tamsin will grow out of it and you'll more than likely be able to get her to sleep in her own bed soon enough. As hard as it is, try to enjoy it without the guilt. Gabby has only fallen asleep in my arms a couple of times in the last 6 months and it was sooooo lovely to have my cuddly baby back for a short time! Don't stress... go with the flow... it's not going to do her any harm or "create a rod for your back" like so many people like to say. It's normal and natural to want to be close to Mum and Dad.

One thing I do want to ask, do you swaddle her at all? I found that Gabby loved to be swaddled (tightly) and I had to wrap her until she was 10 months old or she wouldn't sleep. Her startle-reflex really frightened her and would jolt her awake.