Thread: Daytime Sleeps

Default Daytime Sleeps

I don't want to say I have a problem although the MCHN seemed to think I did. Sophia is a great little night time sleeper but during the day she will only sleep in my arms or lying next to me on the bed. I don't actually mind but it does mean that I can't do a lot of things as she wakes if I move her. The nurse suggested I start getting her into a routine of putting her down in her cot at certain times of the day to get her used to the idea of having a nap but I'm scared if I do that she won't sleep and will just end up getting really tired.

I feel guilty the housework doesn't get done but I tell myself it's only for a few months until she grows out of it. The question is will she? Or should I try to get her into a napping routine in her cot?

Any advice welcome.

Melinda Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenia
    I don't actually mind.
    I think there's your answer! Honestly, if you are both happy with the way things are, then I'd say to just stick with it and it will probably change at some point in the future when you're both ready and happy for it to happen IYKWIM? It sounds like you both enjoy that closeness and it really is a special thing to look down and see your little one sound asleep and snuggled up contently next to you isn't it!

Unless you're unhappy about things, I'd just let it run it's course for a while and in time, you can go about re-introducing the cot for day time sleeps. She's obviously very happy in it overnight, so you probably won't have too much trouble when you do start to re-introduce it.......

I can't encourage you enough to go with your own routine, i.e. whatever works best for you and your little one. They are all so different and unique that what suits one simply doesn't suit another and you do what you need/want to do to ensure everyone is happy and healthy (both Mum and bubs!)

It sounds to me like you're going great guns.......well done!

I have had times like that and I do remember getting frustrated about not being able to do things. They do grow out of it, sometimes have relapses back into it, espcecially when sick. I found what helped me was to sit at the computer and do a bit of surfing, read emails etc. A MCHN tried to get me to break the habit, for us it just made things worse. Do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck

I nursed my DS most days until he was 3 months old. He just would not settle, I feel that babys need and want to feel the comfort of mum, as often as they would like it. DS soon adapted much later to go into his cot for daytime nap, but this only lasted til he was around 5mo!! He is back to the old routine. But i figure, they are not babies for long, and i am just going to enjoy holding my little man while i can. Especially since he is quite happy to have a great night sleep in his cot. I think that the bed time routine is the most important IMO. We religiously gave DS a bath, and bottle, then bed by 7.30 every night, and it has worked a treat so far. He may have the very odd occasion where he wants to stay up a bit, but this is usually when he is sick. So we let him play, then pop him in his cot again later. I never want to get into the pattern where he is sleeping in our bed if we can help it, as it is soooo hard to get them out of that habbit. IMO of course!!
    Good luck, do what feels right for YOU, and just do whatever works for you. Mum knows best i say!!!!!

addbaby Guest

I am hearing you!! I too have to lie down with my little angel to get her to have daytime sleeps - if you can call them that. She spend most of the time pulling at my (pretending to be asleep) face and trying to pry open my mouth. No seriously, it can be really exhausting and I agree, it is hard to get anything much done, but I agree with the others, that it often is just a phase where they need a little more comfort from mum and it will pass. Before you know it all the rules will have changed again and you will be doing some other totally bizarre thing to get them off to sleep (like bouncing on the fit ball singing Ohm chants at all hours of the morning...yes I am serious, worked at treat for angelcakes 1)!!
    Take care and remember most of all to trust your intuition. Do not be forced into doing anything that doesn't feel right, go with what you want to do.
    All the best

it took ages for Jordan to get used to going to sleep in his cot for his day time sleeps. I would stick with what you are doing if you are comfortable with it and it works for you.
    You can always try something different for 1 sleep. If it doesnt work go back to your normal way for 2nd day sleep. that way you know the 2nd sleep will be ok. I would suggest to stick with it for a couple days even though it may be hard

Thanks, everyone. As I said I didn't really think I had a problem but you know how it is when someone who supposedly knows better tells you you are doing something wrong. Most of the time I spend here at BB is done while Sophia is having her mid morning sleep, I'm great at typing one-handed!

I'm getting pretty good at ignoring unwanted advice so I should just keep that up even with the MCHN. After all she also did tell me Sophia was feeding too often during the day and I had no trouble ignoring that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenia

I'm getting pretty good at ignoring unwanted advice so I should just keep that up even with the MCHN. After all she also did tell me Sophia was feeding too often during the day and I had no trouble ignoring that.
    LOL!! Good on you!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

I just read Pinky McKay's new book "sleeping like a baby", and it made me feel so much better about letting my baby girl sleep in my arms - in fact, I read most of the book while she sleept in my arms.. as soon as I put her in her cot she would wake up, so I let her sleep on me and started reading... I enjoy it and feel that it helped me relax after a hard pregnancy and labour.. I'm actually getting a hammock this week to see if she settles better in that as I do need to get some of my time back now, however I think that is normal to want to sleep in someones arms - I know I like it!

Yup.. I've been through the sleeping only on me, or being held by me, a short stint of actually sleeping in his cot during the day! now back to sleeping only in the pram through the day. It depends on what I feel like dealing with at the time too. If I have things to do, I'll pop him in the pram, because it's easier to re-settle him if he wakes.. just go and rock the pram for minute! hehe.

If you're frustrated that you're not getting anything done, have you tried a hugabub or something you could wear while she sleeps? then you might still be able to get something done?

I agree with everyone tho.. if you're happy doing it.. then keep doing it Things definitely keep changing, and they do go through phases.