Thread: do you do anything special?

clare076 Guest

Default do you do anything special?

Do you do anything special to get your babies to sleep when they are crying? Anything your LO especially finds calming?

Samuel settles as soon as I hold him, yet he will scream the place down for everyone else. But the strange thing he likes when unsettled, is to be cradled in my arm and with my free hand I gently stroke the bridge of his nose up towards his forehead, then I have to stroke my finger over his eyebrow Works within seconds every single time!

Ellibam Guest

i put arquene up over my shoulder(her head on my shoulder) her bum in my elbow and i just wobble her. she soon forgets that she was upset and starts blowing raspberries

Clare, much the same here, except I stroke down the forehead and the bridge of the nose. Always works!

The nose/eyebrow thing used to work for Joshua too!! Oskar likes boob!

Pat the bum!

DS adores this, he also likes me telling him that if he doesn't shut up and sleep I will bite his toes off one by one, gets a HUGE laugh and he tries to offer me his foot. Wasn't the response I was after when I was at the end of my tether the other night but it worked. Strange boy.

Head on shoulder, big cuddle, kisses behind ear and lots of sympathetic noises with "ohhhhh, poor baby".

The nose stroke is actual supposed to be a sleep reflex in young bubs but I think they lose it when they get a bit older unless the association is strong. We have found that if we need to rock him that singing really loudly and rocking that isn't too gentle works best. You would think nice quiet singing etc would be best but not for our bub. I think the singing works as a distraction and that then allows the calming of the rocking to work.

Olivia seems to only settle for me.. and I hold her close. sometimes she prefers the over the shoulder hold and if she squirms then I move her to the cradle position.. The last couple of days I have noticed she likes to lay on her tummy and be rubbed down her back..

For a comfort thing I rub her face near her temples. She seems to really like that.. My other son Jacob loved having his cheek rubbed and even now I rub his cheek when he has hurt himself and he settles down..

Boobie. He doesn't cry much but if he is ever upset I put him on the breast. I haven't actually tried any other way... Maybe I should as I am not sure what we will do once he is weaned.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has a baby who only likes to settle for mum! Some people like to make me feel bad about that, I try not to let them bother me .

my little man loves to be rocked/jiggled pretty rough while hubby sings Foo Fighters works every time lol
    I think its fantastic when only you or dad can comfort your bubba it just means that you know what works! I think people like to be the one that fixes the baby and then get cranky if it doesn't work their way! Enjoy it!
    Take care
    xox