Thread: Encouraging thumb sucking?

Default Encouraging thumb sucking?

Tom usually self-settles well, and recently has started using thumb-sucking as one of this self-comforting methods (he doesn't do it all the time, but he is doing it quite often). As he usually self-settles, on the occassions when he is overtired and can't easily get himself to sleep (unfortunately with a toddler as well he can't always be put down at the first tired cues), it is not easy to get him to sleep. He doesn't feed to sleep (if he does fall asleep on the bb he wakes up a couple of minutes later). He doesn't go to sleep if he's being rocked or patted etc. He does have a Peace Baby CD which helps but is not enough on its own.

Sometimes when this happens, I can put his thumb in his mouth for him and he'll stop crying and drift off to sleep. I am not a fan of thumb sucking as I am worried he won't grow out of it later. Do you think I am doing the wrong thing by helping him thumbsuck? Should I try and find another way? Or do you think it is ok? I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks. (ps he won't take a dummy).

Paige has never taken a dummy, but has been a thumb sucker her whole life LOL. I agree it isn't the best method of self comforting in a way cause of the issue of when to get them to stop doing it, but I do find that it is a great comfort to her (that and her blankie ) so I have always been happy for her to do it cause that's what makes her happy kwim? I do worry that we will have a few problems when we think it is a suitable time for her to stop, but when is that time going to be?

If it isn't his main form of comfort, would you be happy to let him go and see what happens and if you think he is relying on it too much, then maybe introduce another comfort item if it is bothering you?

Mmmm I sort of lean the other way having been a thumb sucker myself. Out of my four children Olivia has been our only thumb sucker and it was wonderful that she could self soothe whenever!!! I would have been quite happy to have 4 little thumbsuckers.

Jo

Melanie, when I read your post, it was honestly like reading about my son Charlie at the same age (about 5 months)

(Charlie rarely fed to sleep, and because of Olivia being 16 months older, it was tough at times to get him down for a nap before he got over tired) and he wouldn't ever let me, sadly rock/pat him to sleep)

Anyways, Charlie started thumbsucking at around 4 months and this maintained his brilliant self settling habits. He continued to thumb suck until he was about 12 months old. Then we realised he had stopped. I have no idea why he stopped, he just didn't seem to need it anymore?

Personally I have absolutely no issue with thumbsucking at all.

(I was a thumbsucker until I was about 7 (bedtime only, not in public) and I have perfect straight teeth........)

Thanks so much for the feedback. Wow Lucy at our boys being so similar!! I am encouraged by the fact that Charlie stopped on his own for you. I think I will go with the flow for the moment and see what happens. I will try to help him settle without the thumb first, but if he seems to want to thumb suck let it be!