Thread: Feeding to sleep & teeth

Default Feeding to sleep & teeth

Just wondering what other people who feed bubs to sleep do once teeth appear? Do you stop feeding to sleep or just clean the teeth afterwards and risk waking bub up? Kynan falls asleep on the boob of a night probably half the time and his 1st tooth is just starting to make an appearance!

I've always worried about it, but in the end I know that for Matilda to get to sleep we can't break our routine yet... so we brush in the morning & before bed, but she still has a bottle afterwards.

Melinda Guest

Ditto to what Christy said LOL!!!

We don't feel that we can alter Jacob's routine at this stage so we will hold off a little while longer, but we do worry about it.

Thanks, Christy & Mel!

Angel,

I have had fears about this too, so last time I was at my dentist (for me, still haven't plucked up the courage to take Olivia!) I asked him and he indicated that it was only an issue if a toddler with a full mouthful of teeth was allowed to take a bottle to bed and suck on the bottle overnight.

I asked him about BF babes and he indicated it was no issue at all.

HTH....

Thanks, Lucy!! That's very reassuring. I didn't really like my chances of trying to take Kynan's bedtime BF away from him LOL!

Just on this, with toddlers and their bedtime routines. I was really scared about changing Olivia's routine round, but she has a full set of teeth, and whilst she has never had the bottle actually in bed through the night, I knew we would have to break the habbit of "bath, bottle, bed" at some point to fit in teeth brushing.

So, a couple of months ago we started doing "bath, cup of milk, book" on the couch, then brush teeth, then go into her room with her sleepy CD on in the dim light adn read one final cuddly story, then bed.

It was a bit odd only for a couple of nights, but she still settled no probs, & now she has adapted like a charm top this adapted routine...........

angel, i breastfed my boys until well after they had a mouthful of teeth (nearly 2 and nearly 4 years) and neither has had any problems with their teeth. i would brush them before bed and zak often fed overnight (josh usually slept through) and he's been fine.

HTH's beckles

I was feeding the girls til they were 18 months and would brush their teeth before bed and they would feed during the night. They have fantastic teeth..with only Em having had one cavity and thats at 9!

Jo