Thread: Help getting 5 month old to settle and sleep

Hi Mummy's
    I am a married 25 year old first time mum living in Geelong, I have an almost 5 month old boy Jett.
    I am looking for other's to chat with as I have major sleeping issues with Jett, he is waking through the night every hour and only sleeping for 1 1/2 hours three times a day.
    If anyone has any ideas of what may help let me please let me know...
    I have tried sleep bags, side sleeping, farex in the bottle...
    As i said I am unable to Jett to sleep longer than 1 hour at a time, he is also doing this at night... I have to resettle every hour and sometimes he won't go back to sleep at all.
    He is bottle feed every three hours and I am going mad as this is my first baby and I am not sure how to fix this.
    I have been to my local sleep school and I am booked into tweedle sleep school but not till the end of May, I need some advice before I go nuts...
    Feel free to email me at:
    [email protected] or post

Dani - Welcome to BellyBelly.

I hope that things are a little better now? My opinion is that all 4-5 month olds due go through a developmental phase and this can cause their sleep to be disrupted.

Firstly a few questions.. have you ruled out teething and being cold? warm? temperature is okay?

What is your night time ritual like? Do you have a set ritual? Check out a few threads in this forum for others thoughts and one of the first posts has different ideas on settleing and sleeping.

Are you putting him to bed when he displays sleep cues? Rubbing eyes, getting cranky, yawning,

Anyway... let me know and we'll try to explore further

Hi,
    My problem is that I rock him to sleep and he has a dummy, to big no no's...
    I have to break him out of that,
    We are going to our local hospital on Monday for sleep settling for three days.. we will see how I go???
    Yep night times are bath bottle and bed, normally he will stir at about 11pm, he goes to bed at 7:30pm - 8pm.
    My husband works arvo shift which leaves me home alone every night.
    hopefully sleep school will help
    I will post when I get ack and let you know how I go
    thanks Dani

Hi Janelle,
    I was told that he has sleep association, and that he wakes when he is aware of his dummy falling out and that I am not rocking him anymore,
    I am aware of the sleep cues and I act on them but Jett will never go to sleep unassisted, it can be a real pain in the but...
    I normally have to put in to sleep every hour cause once he hits that 40 minute light sleep he wakes.
    If I put him to sleep awake he will get so upset that he vomits, It is hard to do the controled crying thing when he does that..
    I still have to wrap him, but have been told that I shouldn't, things get very confusing??? ](*,)
    I just take one day at a time, it is so hard some days as I do nearly everything myself as DH is either in bed sleeping or getting ready for work.. He is a great he when he is around but afternoon shift does really suck when you have a little one...
    Thanks for the help

Thanks for posting... I'd like to ask who said that rocking to sleep and dummies are big no-no's? IMO whatever works, keep doing. I hope that sleep school gives you the answers you are looking for...look forward to hearing back from you.

I know it can get very confusing and my DS was around the same age as Jett when he was having trouble sleeping. I have no magical answer, noone does as each baby is different.

Sounds like you are getting advice from all different directions! What does your mummy instinct tell you? What does Jett tell you? I know that getting up to put the dummy in to get bubs back to sleep is really tough as happened to quite a few girls here. 40 mins sounds like a sleep cycle. I know its hard, I know its tough. I know its hard with hubby doing arvo. One of our other members is going through this too. If wrapping gets him to sleep then do it.

What I am going to do is spilt this post and creat you a new one - hopefully that'll get more people to respond. Please grab the chance to read the posts in here.