Thread: How can I keep all three of us in bed?

Question How can I keep all three of us in bed?

Hi!
    Just wondering if any of you have any good ideas...

DH and I have been co-sleeping with DS at least part of the night since he was about 8 weeks old. In the early days when he was really little we would put him in the "safe and sound" roll thingy to make sure DH didn't roll over on to him (his idea as he was a bit nervous about him being so little). Now that DS is nearly 10 months old I've stopped using the roll because he scoots or lifts out of it anyway so I didn't see the point. But DH is concerned.

We had a BRILLIANT nights sleep last night - DS joined me in bed at midnight (I had gone to bed just after 11pm) and he had a feed then slept until about 2:30am when we switched sides (so DS was in the middle of the bed) and then we didn't wake up again until about 6:30am. However, when we all woke at 8am DH said he wants me to use the roll again because he didn't fall asleep for over an hour when he came to bed at 1 something because DS was sprawled and he was worried about squishing him or rolling on to him.

So if anyone has any ideas that would be great. I'll stop co-sleeping before I will suggest that DH sleep in the spare room alone. I have thought about that wrap thing (name of it escapes me at the moment) that I see advertised in the baby magazines, or the other idea was I could sleep in the middle of the bed, keep DS on the outside and put a safety railing on my side of the bed so he can't roll out.

If anyone has any other ideas though I would love to hear them! Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by lilprecious75 View Post
    , or the other idea was I could sleep in the middle of the bed, keep DS on the outside and put a safety railing on my side of the bed so he can't roll out.
    yup do that
    we did that until bree got bigger, now we have a cot there instead (one side off) so she starts the night there alone, but has free access to us when she likes.
    it also gives us more room if DD1 (4.5) comes into the bed too
    when bree was younger, she only slept next to me, sometimes in the middle between us - but in the crook of my arm, with my knee up - so if she moved i knew.i also woke instantly when DD1 came to our bed.
    now bree is nearly 2, and im not at all worried who she sleeps next to - only unless its not next to me aswell.
    your dh is right to be concerned. i found once i slept with my back to bree and of course i was much less aware of her.but if you have your arm around your DS, YOU will notice if anything /anyone gets too close to him.
    google 'safe co-sleeping guidelines', lots of good ideas there aswell.

Joh -
    Thanks for the response - will google tonight

DH and I moved our mattress to the floor so DD can sleep on the outside without us worrying about her falling out; it works pretty well for us