Thread: How do I?

Default How do I?

My DD is 7 months old, and won't sleep in her cot. ATM we are co sleeping (as it is easier) but I would like her to sleep in her cot. DP has been sleeping in the spare room and I would like to go back to sleeping in a bed with him.
    I think her main problem is that she has recently learnt to crawl. So now when she lays down the first thing she does is flip to her stomach and then up on her hands and knees. So I can get her to sleep in there by holding her to stop her rolling, but she only stays that way for about 30mins before she rolls in her sleep and wakes herself up. Its then really hard to get her back to sleep.
    So what I would like to try is something that I can use to stop her from rolling. I have tried tucking in her blanket really tight but she still manages to kick it off.
    Even when she is in with me she wakes when she rolls but its easier to put her back to sleep.
    She used to be such a great sleeper, and would self settle in her bassinet. It just since she has started moving so much, and she is also teething so don't know if that would contribute.
    Any help would be so appreciated. I keep getting told to leave her cry and she will learn herself but I don't want to do that, and on the few occassions where I haven't got in there quick enough she works herself up too much anyway.
    Thanks

You can get special wraps that go around a cot mattress to hold babies on their backs - I think they are called safe-t-sleep or something. I don't know how well they work, though, we're still co-sleeping...

Hi Fenella. Don't have any suggestions except regarding keeping the blanket tightly tucked in. Haven't tried it, but read that if you tuck the blanket in nice and tight, then stuff a small rolled up towel between the side of the cot and the mattress (on both sides), that will hold the blanket in. Hope that makes sense!

Amanda, I do the rolled nappy thing on either side of the cot, sometimes it works other times it doesn't. I'm struggling like you ATM with an energiser kid who never stops kicking/rolling/wriggling and nothing works.
    I still wrap Darcy but ATM she has discovered how to get out.
    Will be interested in any suggestions but the Safe T sleeper sounds like a goer.

Dare I say try letting her fall asleep on her stomach? And then going in to roll her over back to her back once she is asleep?
    Jenna sleeps on her tummy/side all the time now, and yes she is 19m old, but even then, we were starting to let her sleep on her tummy fairly early, and just going in and rolling her back if need be.
    Just a suggestion. Goo dluck!

3times Guest

I am no expert on this, but in my experience this is a stage all three of mine went through (I used to say it was like they had springs on their backs that wouldn't let them lay flat!). Have you tried a sleeping bag and then tucking in the blanket tightly, this makes it a little harder for the 'flip'. If mine did get on their tums I would stay with them with my hand on the bottom and encourage them to go back sleep in that position. I would not recommend this if she wasn't able to lift herself up.

Goodluck and heres to a better nights sleep!

Kirsty77 Guest

I had to let Gemma sleep on her tummy as she would do the same from about 3 months old. She was all over the cot and nothing could hold her in place!LOL! She was just such a tummy bub, I know it goes against all the recommended sleeping ways but I honestly could not get Gemma to sleep any other way as she just wake herself up.

Thanks for the tips. I am being given a Safe Sleeper sleeping bag to try which is similar to the Safe T sleeper, so will let you know if it works.

I wouldn't mind her tummy sleeping, and have tried to get her to go to sleep like that but when she is on her tummy she tries to get on her knees and won't sleep. I wished that worked it would be so much easier lol I have found her alseep on her tummy a few times, but it is always after falling asleep on her back.

I have also tried a sleeping bag but it doesn't stop her either.

Hopefully she gets over this crawling obsession soon lol

Will update if the safe sleeper works

Thanks again