Thread: How do i drop a daytime sleep??

Default How do i drop a daytime sleep??

DD is nearly 5 1/2 months old. she is currently having 3 sleeps a day. 9am,12pm and 3pm. the thing is shes fighting it big time and can take up to 2 hours to get her to sleep. so how do i drop a sleep. she gets pretty cranky after being up for more than 1.5-2 hours.

pleASE help, im goin insane.....

I've always gone by my 15 minute rule - if you are trying to get into a new sleep time or whatever, extend the time she goes down by 15 minutes every few days, and she'll adjust to it.

Also - I never try to keep putting the kids down for a nap. If they fight it too much, I give up after 15 minutes... and keep them up for 15 minutes.. and then try again. I think Miss M dropped her 3rd nap at 7 months though, and now naps at 9.30 and around 2pm-ish. Before that though, she was sleeping at around 8.30, 11.30 and around 3.00pm.

She dropped it herself though and wouldn't go to sleep one day until 9.30, so I just kept her up one day until 9.30 and she put herself straight to sleep.

thanks Mel. I tried keeping her up for 15 mins longer but she still fights it. She just lays there.. with eyes open. Mayb i try keeping her up for 30 mins longer?????? atm it goes like this.

feed 7:30am
    Sleep 9am
    Feed 11am
    Sleep 12pm
    Solids 1:30pm
    Feed 2-2:30pm
    Sleep 3pm
    Feed 6pm
    Bed 7pm.

but even lastnight, took till 9:30pm to get her to sleep!!!!!!!! didnt help at the 3pm one she didnt go to sleep till 4:45 and woke at 5:30.

hollye- how long is she sleeping for on avg each sleep??

not long.. On average 20-30 mins. But this can be from 5-45 mins. So i was thinking also if i drop a sleep she might have longer sleeps. I tried putting her down today at 9:30. By 10:30 i gave up and got her up. She is still up now, but getting very sleepy so im gonna have something to eat and put her down.

gosh wow on even lasting until 10.30!!

Zander has been muckign around with his sleeps which have coincided with starting solids - I have been trying to make sure I keep him awake for a full 2 hours now between sleeps (if i am home) so he is tired - and I am getting an hour sleep back again .... I know it is hard work, but during her awake time try stimulating her heaps with a walk (fresh air), and lots of play - she might sleep more solid as she is exhausted LOL - I think she is too little to drop a sleep altogether - or if you go down that line, a late arvo 30 minute nap would probably still be needed for her.

In the last 2 weeks Zander has sometimes been put to nap 4-5 times in a day - cos he was 30 minute catnapping and had still been up for 1.5 - 2hrs - he got too overtired to stretch out any more than this.

Just a couple of ideas - I am struggling with it too hun but hopefully he is getting over the hump ... but so much hard work! And it means for me nothing else gets done aroudn the house apart from washing, cooking and groceries

Gosh i didn't even think that was classed as sleeping if under the two hours!

My DS2 at 3.5months is lucky to sleep during the day unless i lay down with him with boobie in mouth, otherwise he will just catnap as you said for half hour couple times a day. I'm glad i'm not alone...i was starting to think this child of mine was out of the ordinary. However he is always in bed by 7.30-8pm...then it is mummy time!
    I must have been so lucky with DS1 who is now 6 as he would sleep all night then have a two hour morning and afternoon sleep and still be in bed by 8.30pm......i could slap myself for not realising how lucky i was.

i put her down at 12.. shes still asleep 50 mins later, and she went to sleep within 2 mins. So what do you girls think??

probably just exhausted?? So she has been up since 7ish is that right? Its hard cos when they get overtired it can muck up their night time sleep too.

Dannii I know what you mean - my DS1 who has just turned 6 was brilliant and I used to stress cos he wouldnt sleep past 6am - but went to bed at 7pm at night without a peep and had day sleeps easily - a dummy, a bedtime whisper and he would self settle - he still is a great sleeper ....

But my DD paid be back lol. I think Zander is jsut somewhere in the middle!