Thread: how do i tackle this????

Default how do i tackle this????

ok i have spent the last few hours reading everyones posts about your unsettled babies during the night,trying to get some ideas as to how i was going to help chantelle settle back into a peaceful nights sleep.but i thought since she is an individual with her own ways and routines it might be best to ask for your advice on her particular situation.
    chantelle has just gone 5 months old.she has slept really well since she was born only waking once or twice in the night for a feed and straight back to bed no problems.it was bliss.as it was the same every night and we had a pretty good routine that we could all cope with.
    she developed a cold about 3 weeks ago and was understandilbly having a really hard time sleeping with all the congestion etc,so i was more than happy to go to her when she woke 3 or 4 times a night to help comfort her/feed her etc.she has since got over her cold but is still waking several times a night,usually about every 2 hours.by about 5 am i am so tired that i bring her into bed with me and let her b/feed whenever her heart desires,she is very wingy from this moment on,tossing and crying and generally seems uncomfortable and unsettled.and neither dh or i get any real sleep from this moment on.
    how do i get her back into a (normal ) routine again?when i say normal i understand that she is going through changes and that she may never go back to the routine she used to have but something a bit more managable.what i cant understand is i know she doesnt need to be fed each time she wakes,although i have been offering it to her,she is not cold,she has a night light,soft music that is left on for the entire night,the same routine before bed as she always has had.do i give her 1 good long feed then pop her dummy in and continue doing this till she gives in to sleep and do this for hours every ,night after night until she learns to settle herself or is there something else i should do.i definantly dont think i could do c/c.i cant stand to see her cry.
    she is not teething,she is not on solid feeds.
    i am going to buy a gro bag tomorrow to see if that helps.do i get one with arms in it or the proper sleeping bag type?
    i give her a bottle of formula every night before bed and have done this since she was 4 weeks old.
    she sleeps in her own cot in her own room. uuummmm!!!!i am not sure if there is anything else i can add at this stage but i will let you know as i here from you.what i want to know is what would you do if you were in this particular situation explain to me what processes i should take.
    thankyou sooooo much in advance for your support and advice. all and any advice will be greatly accepted and appreciated
    nikki

JandJ Guest

Default Poor you

Hi Nicole. Sorry to hear about your troubles with Chantelle. I have six month old boy who we are having similar troubles with. I tried all sorts of things too read every book you can imagine borrowed every dvd and video from the parenting library and nothing seemed to help. I spent heaps of money on programs of Tizzie Halls off the internet and was very dissappointed with her advice. I have found two books that i found very useful though. I know that you said you didn't want to do c/c I just thought that some of the info in these books might help to shed some light on where chantelle is with her sleeping. you may find some of the info really useful and be able to adapt some of the ideas to suit your own situation. I have found them really helpful. I am personally using a bit of c/c with Jesse and having good results though not 100% better!! I am keeping a diary to chart his progress for those times in the middle of the night when you are up for the hundredth time just to remind me that we are getting somewhere. We are now about four hourly waking instaed of two hourly and I acn most of the time get him back to sleep now very quickly without feeding him. The books I recommend are Baby Love by Robin Barker and Sleep Right, Sleep Tight by Rosey cummings, Karen Houghton,& le ann Williams. I hope that you get some more sleep soon. Hope this helps
    :sleeping: ----------------------------------
    Linda

Tigergirl1980 Guest

The best thing I ever bought was a sleeping bag suit (The one with arms in it) for Jonah. He goes to sleep a lot earlier than he was without it and seems to sleep a lot sounder too. I got his from Best and Less for around $9 but it was on special but even then it would only be about $11.

Nikki,

I must say when Louis slept through the other night I had him in a fleecy little suit with a hood and everything as it was cold here and I knew I wouldn't have to worry about him when he kicked the blankets off...hmmm, maybe I'll invest in some sleeping bag things as well. Anythings worth a try!

Nikki

I would only offer the boobs when Chantelle woke if it was 4 hrs since her last feed. Early on in the piece Jordan was waking every 2 hrs and I was offering him boobs each time. I was going mental by the end as you cant get proper sleep this way.
    I went to the docs who suggested I invest in a dummy and offer that or boile water in a bottle to settle him back to sleep.
    We found the dummy worked wonders and he is also a good sleeper in his grobag, although I havent been using it lately.
    I would try the dummy or maybe rocking to sleep. I have found that pacing up and down the hallway with Jordan helps to get him off to sleep again.

I hope that you get your little angel back into her good habits.

I cant wait to catch up with you again darling, we have to set another date!

tracey thanks for your input,and to the other girls also.i bought C a gro bag thingy today but it is too hot tonight.
    tracey are you and your friends still available next wednesday for our first mothers group.how is 11am for you guys at my house.i will send you my address
    nikki