Thread: HOW do you do comforted sleeping when you have more than 1 child?

Matryoshka Guest

Default HOW do you do comforted sleeping when you have more than 1 child?

I just want to know how you do comforted sleeping when you have another very dependant child?

Things were going well with the baby going in the cot, and fine with his head being stroked, the star music thing going for 1-2 sessions, he might grizzle a bit, but then go off to sleep. He's teething now and so become a bit clingy, and so just gets up and stands at the side of the cot crying and reaching out for me. We've now gotten in to a bad habit of having to lay down on a mattress in his room with him, and for as long as an hour, keep lying him down, until he goes to sleep. He's extremely active so we think he finds it hard to shut down.

This is not practical when i have a toddler i've left in the lounge watching cartoons...

so apart from leaving him to cry in his cot, what can i do?

Can you hold him to sleep in your arms whilst in the loungeroom with your toddler? Thats what I do here if Miss M doesn't fall asleep on her own. She's getting better at it though, I give her a go at it first up, and if she doesn't, then I get her up and rock her to sleep in the same room as DS so then he doesn't come screaming down the hallway when I'm trying to get her to sleep

Matryoshka Guest

Nup, he will just be madly looking and turning around in my arms, i cannot stress how mobile/active he is. He is impossible to hold any time because he just doesn't stay still!

At least in the bedroom he gets the idea its sleep time as its dark and theres no stimuli.

Hmmm.. what about in the Ergo with the hood blocking out everything? That works for Miss M...

Matryoshka Guest

I can't carry him anymore because of my neck injury

This is so frustrating. I envy people who's babies just go to sleep when they put them down.

I know he is a bit older, but he sounds so similar to my DS (he is 9mo). And one things that I do for him, when he is really being difficult, is to wrap him. Yep. Nice and firmly in a muslin wrap, angel style. And lie him down. It helps take his mind off crawling and walking for a minute and he can then switch off to sleep...
    Not sure if that will help you at all...

i just take as long as my dd needs and explain to ds when i get back out there that she was taking a while longer then normal and thanks for playing/reading quietly. i have to do this for every sleep as i have no one here to help at any sleep time.

i guess make sure its a long movie you have put on....
    but also i pop in and out some days to check and she is getting used to going to sleep with out me there even though i might come back in (iykwim)

will he fall asleep in a swing for day sleeps?

We wrapped my DD for all sleeps until she was a bit older than your DS2. It used to be her cue to sleep. Have you tried playing a certain soft music to him? You may find you can leave him alone once he gets the cues from that as well.