Thread: How long will my baby be nocturnal??

Default How long will my baby be nocturnal??

I know he's only 2 weeks old and I can't expect too much of him.. but he has quite long sleeps through the day, and wakes every 2-3 hours through the night for feeds. He settles quite easily after each feed (thank goodness) and he has a nice awake time in the morning and occassionally in the evening. Even after a long awake time in the evening.. he'll still wake every few hours.

Just wondering if there's a nice way to "encourage" him to have this eating time through the day and the longer sleeps through the night? Or do I just have to wait it out?

I think that there's a bit of waiting it out involved but to help him know the differance you could try to make night-time feeds differant to the day-time ones ie keep the lights as low as possible and the mood peacefull and calming. You could try doing the night-time feeds in the room that he sleeps in rather than taking him to a differant room.
    If you can have a nap or two yourself through the day it might not feel so exhausting getting up so often in the night.

yup...do that already. Night time feeds are in his room in the rocking chair, lights are dim and then it's straight back to sleep after a nappy change. I hardly even talk to him! Probably coz I'm half asleep myself. But come morning.. about the 8am-ish feed.. i waltz in there and talk to him and say a cheery good morning. He'll have a bit of awake time with that feed, but then crash for about 4-5 hours. Spose I should just go back to bed then too.. but once it's daylight.. I'm quite awake.

This early on id just sleep when you can. I was the same as you i found it quite hard to sleep once I was up and about (very unlike me, i thought id want to sleep more) but it really is a good idea to put your feet up and at least rest. What your doing at the moment sounds really good and he will get used to day and night in the blink of an eye.
    xx

ooo I just remembered - I've read in a few places that if bubs is exposed to more light in the afternoon they sometimes sleep better at night so if you could take Tallon for a walk in the afternoon or spend some time in the brightest room in your house it might help.

I've read that too actually! applies to everyone apparently, young & old. hmmmm.. will try it

Hi,.

I can't really offer you any other advice other than to say they eventually work it out! I think after about a month Louis started to settle down though at night. Of course they will still wake for feeds all the time still