Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long was your baby wrapped to sleep?

Debbie Lee Guest

Default How long was your baby wrapped to sleep?

Hey everyone.
    Just curious. I know that some babies grow out of needing to be wrapped to sleep from an early age. Others love it. Gabby is one of the ones that loves it. When she is wrapped tightly, she drifts off to sleep with no major troubles. If she can get out of her wraps, that's when she finds it difficult to go to sleep.
    She is now 7.5 months old and it doesn't look like she is any closer to being put to sleep without being wrapped. I don't mind. It can be a challenge because she is getting bigger so the sheets and blankets are getting smaller. We still manage though.
    How long was your baby wrapped for? How did you decide it was time to stop and how did you go about it?

froofy Guest

My daughter only got wrapped for a few weeks. It seemed she wouldn't drift off to sleep until she'd wriggled her way out of her wrapping, and would work pretty hard to do so lol. Maybe some bigger blankets might be helpful?

Melinda Guest

Jacob was only wrapped for a few weeks too. He always wanted to get his arms out and have them up by his head, so we decided we'd see how we went with leaving him unwrapped. He was fine......probably because at that stage he was still in his bassinette, which meant that he was tucked in nice and snug anyway (i.e. a lot more closely than would have been the case if he was in a cot IYKWIM?).

Paris loved to be wrapped she was about 8 mths old and then we went from wrapping to a gro bag (as it was the start of winter), and she had that till she was about 12 mths. I don't think it really hurts them, I think if they like to sleep wrapped then thats ok. I know you've got warmer months coming up when it was warmer we used muslin instead as it was cooler and longer. Paris had a few settling techniques, dummy, wrap & mobile and wrapping continued till about 12 mths, dummy till about 18 mths and Mobile till she was about 2 (we took the mobile off and let her have just the music part). And now she has "baby bear". But she has never objected to bedtime, and has slept through since she was about 8-9 mths so I am happy with the choices we made, and would more than likely replicate them with Seth if thats what he wanted.

Got off on a bit of a tangent...sorry 8-[

*hugs*
    Cailin

Kirsty77 Guest

I stopped wrapping Gemma at about 3-4 weeks as she always wanted her arms out near her head.She doesn't mind not being wrapped, infact she loves it as shes a real wriggler.

We wrapped Aidyn until he was about 6-8 weeks, which is when we bought him his first Grobag.
    He never really liked being wrapped and would always struggle to get free, and then end up with the blankets on his face... which is why we decided to use the grobag.

It sounds like it really works for Gabby though, and must make things a bit easier by helping her drift off to sleep!

LOL 1 day!!

Only a couple of weeks, Debbie. Blake spent more time trying to get out of the wrap than trying to get to sleep.

About a week for us - as soon as Tamsin seemed to like waving her arms around while she slept, we decided to let her, and it's been fine so far.

Debbie,

We stopped wrapping Hendrix at 4 months. He was struggling to get out at this stage and once he did he would wake himself up. I thought that because of this that he wouldnt be able to sleep unwrapped but to our suprise he went straight to sleep! I actually felt a little sad as he had become a big boy and didnt need to be wrapped up .

xx

belmarks Guest

If I have any more babies, I will never wrap them to sleep. I have had nothing but problems with Coby sleeping since he was a few weeks old and I really think that the wrapping had something to do with it. He hates being wrapped, but won't sleep if he is unwrapped AARRGGHH!! Very frustrating. And to top it all off, he's a really hot baby and now that its coming into summer, its really really hot here at the mo and he is sweating his little bum off. So for the first time yesterday, he actually went to sleep without being wrapped!! Yay!!

It's literally taken me weeks to get him to go down without being wrapped.

I was talking to my mum about it, and she said that when we were babies, they never wrapped us and we all slept fine - never a problem, she used to put us down and we'd go off to sleep. I can't count how many times I've had to go in and re-settle Coby during the day. So I can't help but think that the wrapping has something to do with it...

What do you guys think?

Well Lily was born at the beginning of Summer and the only time she was wrapped was in hospital, so 3 days. Even then she'd get her hands out and put them near her head. She absolutely hated being wrapped and hates sheets and blankets on her aswell which i dont mind now because she is a very hot baby(she sweats even when i think its a bit chilly!) but in winter it is a bit hard.

Debbie Lee Guest

Belinda - I wouldn't say that Gabby enjoys the process of being wrapped either. She fights it hammer and tong! BUT she won't sleep if I don't do it. I have tried a couple of times (on hot days) but she just plays with her dummy. She gets crabby after a while and wriggles her way up to the end of the cot and gets stuck in the corner (whilst banging her head). So I just resigned myself to the fact that I will have to wrap her until she can roll and rescue herself.
    I guess it's a bit cooler here so I can get away with it for a bit longer. It has been warm over the last couple of weeks tho. I have been wrapping her in a cot sheet instead. Actually, I might go out and buy a single-bed sheet because the cot sheet is getting too small. She busted out last night and her little arms were freezing (I only have her in a body suit because it has been so warm).
    I have tried the muslin wraps and I found them to be pretty useless. Gabby got out waaaaay too easily. Most of the time I wrap her in a stretch polar-fleece blanket and she only gets out if I have been lazy.

I was also thinking, too... maybe because Coby is a boy, he's a bit stronger? I know one of the girls at my MG had a similar problem with her little boy and she tried for aaaaggges to get him to go to sleep without being wrapped. He would just bust out of anything she wrapped him in.

I wish you could buy some sort of sleeping-bag with the arms not there. That way they would be wrapped and couldn't get out!

Debbie,

If you are a sewer, I have a pattern for a sleeveless sleeping bag - a big like a grobag but with a zipper.

If you like I can trace the pattern and copy the instructions for you.

Debbie Lee Guest

Sounds interesting, Rachel. I will PM you. I am not a sewer but my Mum is!

getinmybelly!! Guest

for as long as possible. four months? I don't really remember but I kept doing it until DD could wriggle her way out, then I started wrapping her with her arms out.

She loved it though and was the only way she could sleep.

Debbie I've emailed you cause I can't PM!

Hi Debbie, Nick hated being wrapped, but Ryan loved it, he outgrew it at 6months, but every now and again if he's really unsettled i wrap him and he goes straight to sleep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast