Thread: i feel so bad

Default i feel so bad

DD had previously always been fed to sleep, however recently at night time, I have been able to give her a feed in her room, and then a kiss and put her in her cot and she goes to sleep without any crying.

However this only happens at night. During the day, I'll feed her in her room in the hope that she'll fall asleep, however she has started getting sleepy and then realising it, and wriggling out of my arms and running off to play. This can go on and on for hours. If i try and put her in her cot when she gets sleepy she just cries and cries.

Just then she was doing this, and I left her in the cot and she cried but I had to go to the toilet. When I went back in (no more than 5mins) she was so tired from crying that she fell right asleep on the boob, but I felt so bad!

ANyone got any other strategies for getting her to sleep during the day?

Will she sit in the cot and look through books before falling asleep?

i dont think so, but its worth a try! thanks for the suggestion, will give it a go tomorrow

Similiar suggestion but would she listen to an audiobook or quiet music?

Good luck!

oh no, i think I've jinxed myself, she wouldnt go to sleep tonight, it seems like we have to make her upset to get her to go to sleep. I hate it!

Hang in there!

Pick a sleep routine that suits you both and stick with it - it will pass. So much is going on for them at that age. We've had heaps of sleep issues and it is so stressful. Sounds like you are doing a great job though.

Look after yourself too.

thats my problem Mak, I don't want to pick a sleep routine where she has to cry!

Oops sorry - I didn't mean crying was ok.... I had heaps of 'helpful advice' that made me feel like a complete failure as I couldn't leave DD to cry etc and I felt like nothing worked! Silly me - I was comparing myself to others and not working out what worked for us (that was all I was hoping to convey).

We tried heaps of things and ended up with me sitting patting DD's tummy until she drifted off - she had sleeping bag and a comforter blanket. She cried the first night and I ended cuddling her to sleep but second and subsequent nights she seemed to understand. I couldn't make eye contact with her otherwise she got way too revved up to sleep.

She is now almost 3 and we still have disturbed sleep. Most recently she is clingy again (after the arrival of DD2) and we have to have 'special time' before bed and a set routine. This seems to reassure her about where we are whilst she is in bed.

All I had hoped to share with you was that you may need some time to change a routine for them - it does happen but you may experience steps forward and back (we have found once we try and change things it is often more challenging...) and it is a continual process of adapting to suit her needs. This is something DH still struggles with - as he feels things are fixed....

Also you will work out what suits your family - I have had to do things that other people have told me were 'wrong' and would 'spoil' her. In the end whatever works best for you all - funnily enough I also was a bad sleeper.... and my Dad thinks it is hilarious!

You will sort things out - just feels really bad when you are in the middle of it - especially with sleep stuff!

the sleep routine can be tough. my 2 yr old has a different routine during the day then at night. but it works so im not complaining. As its me who puts DS down for his afternoon nap we turn the tv off, get monkey, snuggle down under the covers, kisses cuddles, and i sit there for maybe 10mins and he sleeps for 2 hrs. At night its basically the same expect we read 2 books and he usually has a bath.

u just need to find what works it does take time.

Hi Kellie,

My DD is about the same age as your girl. She's always been fed to sleep, although she sleeps in a various selection of babycarriers as well. We have been co-sleeping since she was born, too. Just recently my DH started to have a bit of complain about this situation. DD takes up a lot of room in our bed, and DH has been sleeping on a single bed placed right against our bed, while me and DD sleep in th Q size bed. So, I have been trying to change DD's sleep association (fed to sleep) in the last couple of weeks. I must say that I have a doubt in my mind - is DD ready? does this affect our strong bond?? etc. You know, I am proud to say that I have been trying my best to build a secure, loving, and nurturing bond with my DD and I don't want to spoil this!

So what I want to say??? I can see why you don't want to let your DD cry to sleep. But I can also feel your frustration when there is a sleep problem. Naps and night sleep give us, mothers/fathers, a bit of break from our rewarding yet demanding role (though we may end up doing washing or tidying up...). I hope you'll find the best way for you and your family. I found myself going back to Dr Sears Baby Sleep Book and Pantley's No-Cry Sleep Solution every few months!

Sorry for a long post. Luckily my DD is asleep at the moment having a long nap! yay