Thread: if my baby falls asleep on my lap....

Default if my baby falls asleep on my lap....

if my baby falls asleep on my lap after bfing (like he has right now for example) i feel like i'm stuck right here and can't move. if i carefully try to put him in his bassinette he usually wakes up and starts crying and then i have to resettle him all over again. apart from being pinned in front of the computer all day, what else can i do???

hehehe now you've got an excuse to spend more time on BB.
    I became an expert on one handed typing .

Maybe if you want to be more active and bubs won't settle in the bassinette you could try getting a hug-a-bub.

yeah i've got a hab, thanks dach. it is very handy.... it's more that he falls asleep on me after a feed and i really want him to keep sleeping cos he's tired but then i'm just stuck here on the couch. oh well, could be worse places to be stuck i guess! lol

Sounds pretty good to me!!!! :-)

Gracie you can still put him in the HAB whilst he is asleep. I just did this post the other day with different ways to wrap with the HAB.

Kangaroo Hold

This hold works particularly well for parents whose babies tend to wake up when moved. In the Kangaroo Hold, they can fall asleep on mom or dad and then be wrapped in place without being disturbed.

1. With the assistance of a partner, spread the center of the wrap over baby.
    2. While supporting baby, move each section of fabric across your back and over the opposite shoulder.
    3. Holding baby tightly, spread the fabric of one piece over baby's torso the opposite hip.
    4. Spread the other piece of fabric over baby's torso, making sure you keep fabric pulled tight as you wrap.
    5. You may tie a knot at your back or bring the fabric to the front and tie there.
    6. Spread fabric and tuck baby's head for additional support.

What??? will have to make sure next time i feed that i've got the hab next to me ready to go! thanks sarah

No worries Gracie

my DS was very bad at being 'transferred' while sleeping. but there was one thing that sometimes worked - lie him on a pillow while feeding (holding him with my hands under the pillow rather than right under his body, IYKWIM), then carefully place him, still on the pillow, in his bassinet. maybe you could try this! good luck.

~Belinda~ Guest

Why on earth do they always wake up when you go to put them in their cot/bassinette!

Madeleine only sleeps with me in bed or in her bouncer...is that bad?? I really hope she grows out of this...one day!

Hi,

They wake when you put them in their cot.....because they are born expecting that mum's body is their environment. Some animals are "cached" in the long grass while mum goes and forages. Others are born able to run along with the pack. But baby humans are from the category of mammals that needs to be with their mother. They are born relatively immature (or else we'd never push those heads out) The first 3 months outside the women is often referred to as a fourth trimester of pregnancy - they just gestate outsdie the body not in it. They need mum for everything. Babies tummies are small, and breastmilk is easily digested - they need to eat very often. They rely on our adult bodies to regulate their little bodies - our heartbeat regulates their heartbeat, our breathing regulates their breathing. There's really no such thing as "a baby" = they come completely packaged up with mum. Sometimes it feels suffocating - to be so needed 24/7. Did you ever notice that just about every culture, throughout time and history has a form of baby sling, sarong or pouch where they carry their babies on their back or their front? Most of the world's population doesn't have time to sit on the couch, so they secure their baby to their body and go about their lives.
    Regards
    Barb

~Belinda~ Guest

Wow that's amazing Barb...you put that so beautifully!

Barb, that's why hypnobirthing made so much sense to me!!! All similar basic principles.

Gracie... I know how you feel, Oskar was very much like that until around the 3-4 months... then he would allow me to put him down to sleep but had to be on his tummy on the lounge NEXT to me instead of on me... then he was ok with sleeping on my bed until around 7 months then he finally was ok with sleeping in his cot!! This was all for day sleeps not night. Night he was good and had his hammock. He's only just in the past month got past only sleeping for one sleep cycle and can resettle himself and sleep for about 2 hours in the mornings. It's a time and patience thing hun... but thinking back it was lovely to be able to just sit there with him cos now it's near impossible to sit anywhere for more than a few mins...lol. Enjoy it, it doesn't last long

thanks you guys, thanks so much Barb- you always seem to put things so well and make me feel better about my parenting. i wish you were my maternal health nurse. she makes me feel like an immature hippy.