Thread: Longer Daytime Naptimes (4 month old)

Momma Destiny Guest

Default Longer Daytime Naptimes (4 month old)

I have a 4 month old daughter who sleeps pretty good at night (one 6 hour stretch then every 3 hours) but will only sleep for 1 hour at a time during the daytime. How can I get her to sleep fewer naps but longer?? Are lots of one hour naps normal?? Thank you for any help

Extra info: She is Formula fed, started solids this week (not effecting her sleep at all), sleeps on her tummy and takes a soother sometimes.

imo you shouldnt try to force your dd to nap longer if she doesnt need too. lots of little naps is totally normal, little mammals need to wake frequently for their milk
    solids aren't recommended until over 6 months fyi...

Some solids are fine to offer to a baby at four months of age, some babies need and want the extra nutrition, every baby is different. My DD sounds alot like yous at that age. My DD would have 3-5, 45min-1 hour sleeps during the day, now at six months she is down to 2-3 1-2 hr naps, mostly 2. Normally they will lead the way and let you know how much sleep thy need and want, as long as your happy with what she is doing, let her go I think, she will make for a much happier baby this way. We also started her on solids at 4 months, she loved it from the start.
    Goof luck with what ever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy Mel View Post
    Some solids are fine to offer to a baby at four months of age, some babies need and want the extra nutrition, every baby is different.
    not wanting to start a debate:P but at that age solids are not going to give them much nutrition wise, its mainly to teach them how to eat a tiny amount - and it has been proven that you increase the risk of your child having (possibly serious) allergies if you start solids before their gut's/immune system is old enough to cope, which is around 6 months roughly for all babies. sure every baby is "different", but please dont spread around your opinion on information that is not medically researched and backed up!

FYI JohT, it is not my opinion, but that of my HCN & GP, so I don't hesitate to inform others of what was suggested to me from two medically educated professionals, and I'm sure they have enough medical research to back up their opinion. And your probably right it is probably more of interest and experience than necessity, but still some soild foods are appropiate to give to some infants four months of age, after given the ok from a HCN or GP.
    Last edited by Meluchja; December 12th, 2006 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johT View Post
    it has been proven that you increase the risk of your child having (possibly serious) allergies if you start solids before their gut's/immune system is old enough to cope, which is around 6 months roughly for all babies
    i still think this is an important medically researched 'fact' (see the solids article on the bellybelly article section) - im not 100% convinced all GP's keep themselves up to date with this kind of info, they are not required too i dont think:P
    same with the majority of CHN's im afraid

Momma Destiny Guest

Thanks for your replys. I will let her go at her own pace in sleeping, it seems everything you read says she should be sleeping longer but I am glad to hear that it is normal.

And on the whole solids issue... My DD DOCTOR said to start her on solids. My other DD didn't start until she was 6 months old. Every baby is different. Thanks for your opinion anyway, I know you were just trying to help and I am glad you wanted to try Thanks again to both of you.

My son is doing the exact same thing. He is awake during the day for 2 hours at a time and a 1 hour nap, maybe longer around 2-3pm. We have just started him on a little rice cereal as suggested by our health nurse and gp, he has one about one tablespoon of rice cereal mixed with 2 of formula and he is loving it.

momma destiny i find that when my boys where little like your DD they would sleep for longer periods when held or in a sling, have you tried something like that? i know it help for us.
    beckles