Thread: My baby rolls in bed!

Default My baby rolls in bed!

Hi everyone

Even though Josh has just turned three months he is always rolling over! Nearly everytime I go to collect him from bed I find him already wide awake on his tummy. Tonight I've noticed that he has rolled over in his sleep and is at present sleeping happily on his tummy. Do you think I have anything to concerned about in relation to sids? The impression I get from others is if he can roll he must have good neck control so the risk of face planting isn't too high. I'm such an anxious first time mummy that I even have one of those angel care breating monitors. Alas I'm still kinda nervous
    Last edited by Emma27; October 25th, 2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling

If he can roll onto his tum he can roll off it. Sounds like he's a big strong lad.
    BTW, my DS tummy-sleeps. Only way to keep him asleep for any length of time. He wake wsup and picks his head up and is on his arms straight away, there's no keeping him down.

Also, look at your sleeping bub - I bet his head is to a side, not buried in the mattress.

Thanks Ryn.

I guess my issue now is that because he rolls he loses his covers in his sleep. It doesnt seem to bother him but he must get cold not sleeping with a blanket. Maybe I should get him a sleeping bag..does anyone know if there are ones for summer?

if they can roll there is no chance of stopping them all three of my babies rolled about the same time as your littly, The sleeping bags are a great idea dont know if you can get summer ones but if not why not try just putting him in those thin all in one suits like bonds suits but made of cotten so that he want really need any covers on him at all.

Hi Emma

I'm constantly checking my ten-week-old is still breathing so I know what that worry feels like, even though she can't roll over yet.

If it makes you feel better, I read somewhere that tummy sleeping is only very marginally more risky than back sleeping for SIDS though obviously you want the lowest risk possible. But ... it's not like your baby is at much higher risk of SIDS simply from tummy sleeping IYKWIM.

Infact, they used to tell parents to put babies to sleep on their tummy to lessen the chances of them choking on their spew.

In another couple of years the experts will probably find that back sleeping increases the chances of something else and tell us to put babies on their tummy again!

It is very hard not to worry though, isn't it?

All my babies slept on their tummies from day one. Now I am not recommending this. But I just wanted to let you know that it doesn't necessarily mean danger. With my babies they all were born with incredibly strong necks... could hold their heads within a day of being born including being able to lift them slightly off the bed when on their tummies. When I was in hospital the midwives witnessed this and said that in their case it was a lessened risk. the thing was that they absolutely refused to sleep on their backs. Interestingly my last MCHN said that this can run in families and that about 1/10 babies will refuse to sleep on it's back and that it usually means they also have strong necks. Anyhow, run it past your MCHN and see what she thinks. To me they stressed that I make sure the cot mattress was nice and firm and that there was good ventilation at all times. Also if there are no smokers in the family it reduces the risk the most. This includes smoke from other sources like fireplaces too.

Anyhow, don't worry yourself to death LOL Just make sure you follow all the other sleeping guidelines to a "T"
    Last edited by Bathsheba; October 31st, 2007 at 06:50 PM.

LOL I just editted my previous post... i had to swap "backs" for "tummys" all over the place!

bathsheba i wish i had of read your post 8 months ago... my girl refused to sleep on her back and i tried for 5 months with little success and sleep, then she rolled onto her tummy and suddenly i realised, i should have been putting her on her tummy all along.... i think the thing to remember with sids is, its guidelines and recommendations only, its not going to work for all babies, you have to do what works for your baby.... i will know next time if i get a non back sleeper, i will put bubs straight down on tummy to see if it works better and equals more sleep.... its funny they go from being upside down and all over the place and carried around in the womb, then they are plucked from this environment and put on their back in a cot and we expect them to sleep!

Hi Emma Hey, like I said in my post, I'm not necessarily recommending tummy sleeping... maybe run it past a midwife or the paed that does discharge exams. It'll give you peace of mind. I personally think that providing a non smoke environment is the biggest thing... and good ventilation... and then not over heating... and then Breast Feeding as a respiratory health guard. There are so many factors for SIDS... but this one (I think) is one you can be a bit flexible on more than the others. Just my opinion.

On the SIDS thing, there was a study concluded recently that said that 90 - 95% of all SIDS deaths were babies of mothers who smoked through pregnancy and/or after birth. Having said that, my DD sleeps on her tummy a lot now and I put the motion sensor on - nice peace of mind.