Thread: Please can someone help me???

Default Please can someone help me???

Darcy is normally an alright sleeper, but this week sheís become SO combative, I donít know what to do. Even changing her nappy is a nightmare. Sheís begun to kick violently. I know sheís learning to control her legs, but itís VIOLENT. As soon as I put her down to sleep the legs start going and wake her right up no matter how sleepy she was, like itís a challenge she has to overcome. Iíve tried nursing her to sleep but as soon as I lay her down sheís awake. Normally she just goes off to sleep by herself with very little assistance from me.
    I thought she was over being wrapped, so I tried leaving her unwrapped, but then she thinks itís playtime and the kickingís worse. I did leave her for an hour to see what would happen but then she starts screaming and becomes so distressed. As soon as I wrapped her she went to sleep.
    I tried leaving one arm out, but thatís similar to no wrap and she can take the dummy out which wakes her up again.
    Iíve been up at least 40-60 times each night the last 4 nights. Normally she only feeds once over night, I gave her another feed and last night 2 extra but that didnít help. Sheís so tired that as soon as I pick her up she shuts her eyes. Iíve tried co sleeping, but sheíll only sleep for an hour at the most.
    I wonít do controlled crying and figure if sheís crying thereís something wrong. It is hot but the fanís on so she isnít hot.
    She used to know that when the sheets were tucked in tight that was the sleep signal and sheíd shut her eyes and go off Ė not now.
    Even when she does eventually go to sleep it doesnít last long because at the end of the sleep cycle (itís always right on 20minutes) she lightens her sleep and her legs start going and wake her up, or she pushes herself out of the sheet/blanket and she wakes right up.
    Iíve tried a sleeping bag, but with her arms free it was the same as being unwrapped and she could still kick out.
    I canít put her at the bottom of the cot as per SIDs protocol as that just gives her something else to lick off. At Toys R Us they have a swaddle with Velcro but Iím pretty sure she could get out of that and I doubt they will let me try it on before I buy itÖ.
    Iíve got RSI from pat pat patting, and sore back and quads from leaning over the cot.
    Is nearly 5months too young for Brauers Calm or rescue remedy?
    Iím at my wits endÖ..

She is probably just going through a developmental stage where she is so close to being mobile and moving around on her own. I would have the same trouble at nappy changes as you with the kicking and wriggling around. I would give them something to hold onto to distract them from moving for a bit while I changed them.

As for the sleeping, have your tried different bedtime routines, so she starts to learn when it is sleep time and not playtime? Is her room darkened for her at all? I found that by closing the blinds a bit that they would settle better than if it was light. I'm not sure about the Brauers as I haven't used it myself, but I know a few others on here swear by it.

Kim, you poor love.

I have no idea what is causing it, but agree with Sherie that it may be time to start a bedtime routine if you don't already? We did this with Olivia at 4 months and it helped us no end.

6.30 bath
    Songs and jammies
    7pm Boob feed for as long as possible, in the dim dim light, with a Peacebaby CD on....

Not sure if that helps?

I would continue with the wrapping if I were you, too. ie have one boob unwrapped, then wrap, then 2nd boob?

We do have a routine at bedtime 5.45bath, 6pm feed and quite time 6.30 wrapped and into bed. It's not really that bit that's the challenge, it's the keeping her asleep bit that is.

Matilda went through a similar thing for the 2 weeks before she started rolling & again when she started crawling (she started commando crawling at almost 5 months) and every physical milestone was met with physical fighting especially at sleep time... HTH!

Thanks Theresa and Christy, it's just nice to know sometimes that there are others like you, and people who won't automaically suggest solids and formula IYKWIM?
    Christy I have read some of your stories.......uhoh. Hope it's not an indicator cos otherwise I might be emailing you! LOL\Theresa sometimes she'll co-sleep and sometimes that makes the fighting worse. But when she does, I still don't sleep - its a no win for me.

I dont really have any suggestions but just wanted to say that Hendrix was a fabulous sleeper until the 4th month and then went through exactly as you describe. I suppose my only real advice is to stick to the routine and maybe do a top up feed?? I would do a feed at 4 and another at 6 to tank him up as he was going through a growth spurt as well as growing in leaps and bounds developmentally.
    Another thing is that understand that it will pass in time (im sure your sick of people saying that, but it will )
    HTH

oh Kim!! *hugs* please do email me if you need too... who knows in 4-5 months time I will probably be going through the same thing with this little girl.

One thing to KNOW is that all babies go through a rough patch starting 4-5 months, you can look around the forums for a while & see the pattern. The disrupted sleeping patterns, seeming to be "hungry". It definately is a developmental thing that most babies go through at this time. So knowing that is really helpful to combat those theories that solids will help, because they don't.

Heather that's exactly my feeding routine! It's good to be able to get on here and know that you're not doing it wrong...
    Cristy this bubba's going to be chilled and placid.....:fingerscrossed: