Thread: Queen or King size bed?

Default Queen or King size bed?

Hi,

DH and I are expecting our first bubba in October and are definately going to try co-sleeping during the night. We've just moved house and sold our bed frame (but kept the queen mattress) as we planned to buy a new frame.

We're wondering now whether we should buy a king-size bed? We're only planning to co-sleep for the first 6mths or so (don't plan to have our toddlers/4yrs in bed all night at this stage), however we are planning to have several children and probably do the same thing with each.

I don't think we're going to bother with a cot ATM as we'll get a lovely hammock for day sleeps (and I've heard we could use this at night as well).

In general, what size bed are people co-sleeping in? I've read that a king is the best, but are there any problems with a queen size? We're both slightly-built people, but having a bubs in the bed will take up more space. I don't want DH to have to move out either!

I'd love your thoughts as I'm 4.5mths now and getting a little tired of clambering off the mattress on the floor every morning!

We have a queen bed and both bigger people. DD sleeps with us when she is hard to settle and theres no where near enuf room!!! We both sleep on the edge while she spreads out!! DH keeps saying 'Thats it im buying a king bed'. LOL

We are both very tall people & we have a queen size bed, last night we had 4 in the bed at one point LOL its a tight squeeze with 4 but we do well when there are 3 in the bed with the baby.

We have a king sized bed which is a bleesing at the moment. You should see how many pillows I need to get comfortable Poor DH would be on the floor if we tried to fit both of us AND the pillows in the bed (and this is without the baby )

*las* Guest

We are desperate for a King! The queen is just not big enough for us and often DH will go to the spare room for a full night sleep as DS moves around a lot!

I think the King would be best

These are great thoughts ladies. DH said last night that he's leaning towards the King because he thinks the advantages outway any negs. We just want to see if we can fit a hammock next to the bed if we want that option as well. What happens if our baby's a snorer or really wriggly? Co-sleeping may just not work!

It's interesting that some of you have to part company with your DHs (to another room) and that's something we want to avoid. MIchelle71, I'm appreciating the pillow thing - I'm using them to get comfortable myself, and I have no idea how we'd fit a baby between us plus hubby ATM!

It's just the size that scares me a bit. We won't have much extra space in the bedroom - however I have to remind myself that my only experience of Kings are in hotels - and I've since found out that they're often custom-made

Mads - good point regarding the "hot sticky nights". I get really hot easily and bubs will be with us all through Summer - another thing to add to the "Pro" list (list is in my head ATM, but I think I should write it down)

I'd go the king size bed. We bought our bed a couple of years ago - a couple of months before falling pg and for the next one we are going to upsize. It will not be a cheap exercise, as we like our futon and we love our latex mattress, but a king will accomodate all of us for a long time. I know you don't want to go beyond 6 months at this stage (you may change your mind, it's the loveliest thing!), but if you're planning more, it will be more comfy.
    I personally don't use any of those co-sleeping 'accessories', because the point of co-sleeping to me is the physical closeness. I like baby in the crook of my arm or on my chest (when he was smaller, of course!). It regulates both our temperatures, and my breathing regulates his breathing...things that a barrier impede. And, geez, DS is still alive and I don't follow the 'co-sleeping guidelines'! Co-sleeping is safer than separate sleeping. There are far more baby deaths from separate sleeping than there ever were from co-sleeping, so I don't fall for the scare tactics.
    And, hey, I was resistant to co-sleeping till just before DS was born, so I'm a complete convert!

We have a king sized bed - it's great for co-sleping but most nights its just DH on his own because I usually crash out in the boy's room when I lie down with Imran during his midnight booby call.

Yep go the kingsize.
    We have a queen and are co-sleeping on and off while DS is teething. DH is sleeping on the floor downstairs alot basically because there's not enough room for the three of us to sleep safely.
    I'd kill for a king bed atm.