Thread: Re-position baby in cot or let her be??

Default Re-position baby in cot or let her be??

My 10 month old DD has slept in a safe t sleep wrap from about 4 months for various reasons , but now she has learnt to undo the velcro and get out of it.
    So i have decided we no longer need to use it as she is getting out of it and then falling alseep in all different positions.
    She takes a comforter to bed ( a little taggies blankie) so i usually pop my head in and check on her once she is asleep to make sure she hasn't got the blankie on her face.
    But sometimes she will be down the bottom of the cot half sitting and half lying down asleep.
    I re-positioned her the other night as it looked really uncomfortable and she stayed asleep, but i thought maybe i should just leave her be. I put her on her back to sleep and by the morning she is on her tummy so i think she now finds this more comfy.
    She sleeps in a grobag so there's no problem of her getting cold.
    Just wasn't sure if i should bother moving her when she is asleep??
    Would like to hear what everyone else does.

Thanks

Sometimes I re-positioned, and sometimes I didn't. With my son, I had to watch his circulation (he had heart probs when born) and so if he was lying on his side with his arm twisted under him, for example, I'd pull his arm out a bit. Also, if they had legs/arms stuck through the sides of the cot slats I'd pop them back in too

But other times (eg bum up head down etc) I'd just leave them be. At that age they start to work out what's comfy and what's not, and usually shuffle themselves around if they feel uncomfortable.

I personally wouldn't bother moving her during the night, cause at that age she'll just keep moving anyway. Babies/toddlers seem to get themselves into all sorts of weird positions when they're sleeping, and they may look uncomfortable to us, but they've obviously comfortable for them.

Jo jo, I don't think there is a right answer to this. Generally once they are able to roll themselves, the risk of them being on their tummy is reduced. And if she's like my boys, you would be up every 5 mins if you had to roll them back every time. Personally I would probably leave her unless she looks really uncomfortable. But you will be surprised at the positions she will end up in as she gets bigger!

i've never reposotioned! kids are restless sleepers and move constantly

Since Izzy was able to roll I haven't repositioned, and oh my some of the ways I found her sleeping I wondered how on earth she A) got there and B) stayed asleep once there but she seemed to be ok!!

Now she is a bit older she has stopped moving all around the cot but will occasionally wake up crying because she has moved right up the end and can't get back down with her sleeping bag on so I will go in and give her a cuddle, retuck and she will go back to sleep.
    FWIW Izzy has a little teddy comforter that she has with her for day sleeps and she is able to push it away from herself when it's in an annoying spot.
    Hth! and good luck!

Thanks for that ladies,
    Tonight she has gone to sleep on her belly towards the left hand side of the cot, holding on to her blankie..so cute.
    I guess i'm just used to her sleeping through and hoping that even though she's able to move around now that she still will.

DD has always slept better with her head jammed into the corner of the cot, or right up against the end!

My DD could roll over onto her tummy at 2 months and I would find her asleep with her face planted in the mattress and her big cloth bum in the air. I was worried but I was told if she could roll herself then it was pretty safe. She's 15 now and still likes to sleep on her tummy.

I recently heard the expression 'let sleeping babies lie' when in hospital with DS. I reckon it's good advice.

Lulu I thought my dd was weird. Glad to know she is not the only "corner-sleeper" out there!! It looks SOOOO uncomfy, but hey when they are sleeping, they are sleeping!

I just let her be, except when her blanket is over her face. Does not matter anyway, because she is constantly moving. I check on her last night and she was right side up, on her back. NOT FIVE MINUTES later, she was wrongside up, bum in the air. She loves sleeping with ther feet in the air, poped onto the cot-bumper or between the bars. I adore that about her. I have to cute's pic of that two little feet throught the bars!