Thread: refuses to sleep in own bed

Default refuses to sleep in own bed

My 2 1/2 year old will not sleep in his own bed. He stands in the cot and screams until he is put in to our bed. I know it is because we have had another baby and because we co-slept with him until he was 1 1/2 and then he was in our room because our house was small. But when he was in our room he slept in his own bed. Now that we have moved into a bigger house, he is in his own room and he refuses to sleep in his own bed. Our rooms are connected so he can see us but still wants to be in our bed. I have tried to put him back in his own bed when he has fallen a sleep but that doesn't work. We really need to have him in his own bed because now DH is being kicked out of bed several times as there is not enough room for three of us. Help Help Help!

We co slept with our ds and he still comes in early in the morning for some snuggle time. If he is still in a cot maybe look at putting him in a single bed. You could even put a mattress on the floor of your room for a while and slowly move it out. Make a big deal about having his own room but don't force him into being there. With the new bub he is probably just wanting to make sure he is still a special part of your life. If you can maybe drag a mattress into his room and camp in there for a few days ( I've been doing this for two days as DS is very sick with a cold ) Hope he settles in soon for you.

Thanks Sarah, thats a great idea. I know he is feeling out of sorts due to the new bub, a mattress might be the way to go for a while...

Hi Theresa ~ I have thought of putting him into a big bed, he is almost 3 and I think he might be ready for it. I was feeling a bit apprehensive (along your line of thinking) about putting him into one since we have just had DS#3 and I thought he might feel like he was getting kicked out of his cot. Did you have a bed party or anything to transfer Emma into her own bed? If not, how did you get her into it?