Thread: Resettling after 45 mins

Olivia Guest

Default Resettling after 45 mins

Hi,

My son ( 9 weeks ) has started only sleeping 45 mins ( yup one sleep cycle ) per sleep during the day. This is most likely cos he is sleeping in his bassinette not his sling anymore ...due to extreme exhaustion on my part.

I can't seem to resettle him, he has a big stretch and wakes up. I like the semi routine of feed, play, sleep, but I really don't want to feed him again so soon, he's already 6.5kgs.
    Plus I really want him not to feel like it's time to get up, although I am not trying to discipline him in anyway ...if you get what I mean.

What are people doing with their babies that won't resettle, other than the sling ?

Any thoughts ?

Olivia - Sorry I don't have answer for you but I exact same problem. DS will only sleep for loger than 45mins if in the sling or co-sleeping in bed with me.
    I have tried baby hammock, dummy, wrapping - all no help even if I resttle at 30-40min mark. he often wakes up screaming and no chance of going back down again
    Hope we can both find some answers soon!

Olivia Guest

Hi,

Mads I have just started putting him in a bassinette that I can rock, kind of like a hammock, and yes good idea I will try rocking through the 45 mins. I am always so excited if he's sleeping, sometimes I forget.

Meredith, sounds like you and I have similar little boys, a week apart, and similar name, mine Lugh Thomas. He, like Logan, has been in the sling and co sleeping since he was born, however we are gently trying to change this, I had mastitis a week ago, and a very sore back and I need some space and I am sensing Lugh does too ...he's not as happy in the sling anymore, maybe a bit crowded ( 6.5 kg ). So we are trying in the bassinette, and so far it has been a struggle, I have been rocking him for hours and hours in the bassinette and sometimes it works, but more often than not it doesn't. I am going to keep going and hopefully he will relax and realise that he is safe even when he isn't right up against me.

Good luck.

Olivia,

My daughter Olivia was like this as a baby, until I "broke" her habit of waking after 40 mins.....I tried all sorts, but the trick that worked for us was the CD player on repeat with a CD that is longer than 45 mins and has no breaks between tracks.........

PeaceBaby worked for us.....it has some special 60 beats per minute rhythm which is supposed to replicate the womb/breathing, so works well for babies to sleep to....

Maybe worth a try......?

(Olivia, and my son Charlie, and my new baby girl Lexie all have mini CD players in their rooms with this CD playing on repeat all day and night, LOL, and all 3 are great sleepers.....)

Wish I could say this worked for us but no luck! I have tried a fe lullabye Cds plus some popular music that i like! Certainly doesn't help him with the 40min deal. neither has bouncing the hammock even prior to him stirring. I have even tried bouncing continuously for well over an hr - doesn't seem to make any difference!
    Only place he can "get through" is the sling or co-sleeping although the co-sleeping doesn't work so well in the daytime for some reason.
    Good luck Olivia - we certainly do have very similar boys. stubborn eh? let me know if you find anything that helps Lugh. Are you still co-sleeping at night?

Olivia Guest

thanks Lucy ...will try the CD ...strangely enough he seems to like NewsRadio ...so I leave that on a lot ...but yes something that is a little more calming (lol) might be best ...I will check it out.

meredith ...no...for the moment co sleeping is over, he is in a bassinette next to the bed, and he is sleeping slightly longer at night, but that maybe a coincidence ...I loved having him with me, but I just felt it was easier all round for him in the bassinette. Also ...same on trying to co sleep during the day.

Does he seem happy after just short sleep? Or does he still seem tired and whingy? i tried everything with my DD, she won't sleep longer than 40mins, in the end I gave up cause she was awake and happy to be up.

Olivia Guest

um ...hey shellbell ...no most of the time grizzley ...esp towards the end of the day. Not sleeping during the day seems to be a common problem ! thanks for eveyones help ..I will perservere

Hi Olivia,

Lachlan was the same, he was 40 mins all day and night it was horrible. We just refused to get him up after the 40 minute wake up, yes it took some time to get him back down but we just kept going in and giving him a cuddle and rocking a patting and he would go back to sleep. The other thing i would do is when that 40 minutes was approaching i would go in and firmly place my hands on him so that when he woke with that startle he would feel secure and go back.

Do you wrap him? This can really help sometimes too.

The other thing to do is to make sure he goes to sleep in his bed, not in your arms etc. The reason is that when they wake breifly after their sleep cycle and they arent in the same place they were when they fell asleep they find it difficult to re settle themselves!

Hope this helps, good luck, i completely understand. Lachlan still has the odd 40 min sleep and it drives me mad, but i did notice that once he started getting a bit more active and moving around himself the sleeps were getting longer!

I had the same issue with Kaitlyn ...we did lots of walking in the pram ...and I used to pick up a take away coffee and go for a drive. Or plonk myself down in front of the tele and relax while cuddling her to sleep ...it does pass. Although Kaitlyn still has her days where she will only sleep 45mins!

carlys Guest

Im having the same issue with the 45 minute sleeps during the day.. and Georgia is not sleeping through the night yet (6.5mths) I know she will when she is ready... also, since teething with her first two teeth, she will not put herself off to sleep unless I rock her in my arms... in the past months she would be put in her cot sleepy but not asleep..and drop off on her own...NOT anymore .... maybe since she is also rolling, and can get around in her cot, she will just roll until she has her legs hanging out the side rails and then scream for me to come help her!!

I have tried turning her onto her side facing the wall, and patting, and shh shh shhing' but she has a major tanty with the legs kicking franticly if i do that! Cant believe my 6.5mth old is protesting ALREADY! Who said kids arnt the boss!!!?

Carls xoxo

Olivia Guest

Thanks everyone, I have tried the suggestions and have seen some results ....the last three days he has slept for 2 hours in his bassinette, I have tried to keep everything consistent and it seems to be working ...thanks for your help ...and good luck with your babies ....I will never think of 45 mins the same way.