Thread: Sleeping on Side/Tummy

Default Sleeping on Side/Tummy

Hello everyone

Just a quick query, my baby girl is starting to roll around a lot now and I always put her to sleep (or into her cot) on her back - but any time I go in to check on her now she is always on her side or tummy?

What should/can I do about this?

Susan, once she can roll herself there really is little you can do, it may be how she is most comfortable, I know Indah is a tummy kid & ever since she could roll, she has slept on her tummy... I gave up trying to keep her asleep & roll her back...
    She should be fine if she can roll back again... or you can get an anti roll wedge thingy, but apparently most babies manage to still roll!!!

I was told once they start rolling there isn't much you can do. Like Indah Matilda slept on her tummy & I would try to get her to sleep on her back, but she woke & screamed until she was back on her tummy. So that is how she slept.

Good luck!

Thanks chicks, I've heard those anti roll wedges dont really work with some babies, I tried a couple of things to make her not roll, but didnt work.

Maybe she's jsut gonna take after me!

Like the other girls have said there really isnt much you can do and they really do seem to prefer to sleep on their tummys alot of the time. Sammy started around then and now still sleeps on his.

Jo

I think if a baby can roll themselves over onto their tummy then they are just as capable of rolling back if necessary. Tummy sleeping is really more a problem with younger babies who don't have much strength or muscle control and may not be able to move themselves if they need to.

I've seen those wedge things and one lady in my mother's group was talked into buying a device that kept the baby in place in bed at night by means of a velcro strap (a bit like a seat belt). All I know is that the SIDS people don't endorse any of these products - not because they are against people selling baby products but more because they are wary of parents getting a false sense of security from them.