Thread: Sleeping Through - Is this normal ??

Olivia Guest

Default Sleeping Through - Is this normal ??

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

My son is 8 weeks old, night time routine was,

8 pm - bed

11.30 - feed

3.30 - feed

6.30 - feed and up

Three nights last week he slept through his 11.30 sleep, it was FANTASTIC. I felt great and everything was wonderful.

Then last night he went back to normal. Which is fine cos he is just a little baby, but I couldn't help being a bit dissapointed.

I have thought about it and I don't think we did much different during the day.

Does anyone else have any experience of babies sleeping through and then returning to normal ? Anyone know if this "means" something ?

Thanks

I think its pretty normal. Jovie stopped what would have been her 11.30 feed at 7 weeks. and will wake up on the odd night for one. They go through so many growth periods at this age, I wouldn't worry. Last night Jovie slept from 8pm - 5.30am! As long as they are having enough wet nappies throughout the day.

Hi Olivia

Yes it's normal... well as "normal" as any baby's sleep habits are My son used to sleep through some nights, and then wake every 2 hrs other nights. Some people think it has to do with growth spurts and developmental stages, others think it has to do with comfort.

But I believe it is normal behaviour, especially for such a littlie.

It is absolutely normal for a baby to wake through the night, actually it is quite unusual for baby to sleep through. i know it seems like 'all' baby's do sleep through the night but reality says something different. it sounds like you are doing a great job listening to your baby's cues and following his needs. i know it can be disappointing when you think that they are doing something that is getting you more sleep and then change but that is the life of a baby by following his cues you are helping build a happy, emotionally strong boy. well done. remember they are little for such a short time and soon enough they will be in their own bed listening to their ipod reading mad magazines (my 11 year old!
    hugs beckles

My DD changes all the time. At 7 weeks she was sleeping from 8- 4:00 then the time kept getting shorter and now at nearly 4 months she won't go longer than 4 hours! I found we never were consistant can change from one day to the next!
    It is easy to feel dissapointed though, I was getting used to that big sleep she used to have and would feel pretty goo the next day and now she's waking more often a night it hit me hard, I feel exhausted all day!

These babies are so unpredictable arent they!!

My little man has been sleeping through from about 6 weeks old and he is 3 months TODAY!!!!
    I have to remember every night before I go to bed that 3 hours sleep is enough..... 5 hours sleep is GREAT and 7 or more hours sleep is just ABSOLUTLY WONDERFUL!!! And to my great great pleasure he sleeps from about 8pmish right through till 6amish!!
    But again.... every night I go to bed expecting to be woken up. A couple of times I took this sleeping right through the night for granted and when he did in fact wake up at like 2:30am I was really frustrated...... So now I just remember to say to my self... what ever sleep I get is good !
    And feeding.... well I have never really worried about that at all.... he just wakes up in the morning rather hungry.... ALL SMILES but... gets a nappy change and striaght on the boob and he is happy.

I really think that if you stress about them feeding they will in fact wake up for a feed.... just a theroy but I dont stress about feeding at all and he sleeps when and how ever long he wants too

All the best

XXXXOOO

It' hard isn't it? My little man slept through from about 8 weeks until he hit 4 months - then he went through a few weeks of waking 2 hourly (boy was that a shock to me!). Now, some nights he sleeps through, others he wakes a couple of times.

They are so unpredictable!

Olivia Guest

great ...well it's good to know that it may not be a once off, the first night when he slept almost 8 hours straight it was the most sleep I had since he was born so it was very exciting, but feeding only twice a night isn't that bad compared to some poor Mums on this forum.

Good advice about appreciating any more than 3 hours sleep, I will try not to expect too much.

thanks everyone

Alexa used to be a good sleeper would sleep 7pm - 6am..... but for the last couple of weeks, she has been waking at least once at night & most of the time twice & wanting fed.....

I know that it is a shock for the system.... these bubs dont realise us big ppl need more sleep than them LOL....

Olivia Guest

hooray ...he slept through his 11.30 feed again and i only fed him once at 2.30....up at 5.30...but i am happy.

one thing though ....we wrap him pretty tight ...and that has made his sleeps longer ..but in the last couple of days his fav things to do are suck his hands and stretch which he can't do in his wrap ...this gets him pretty mad and in the night the wrap ends up around his neck ..which is obviously dangerous.

i want keep wrapping, but maybe with hands around his mouth...anyone have any instructions for good wraps or techniques you use ? He is a very active and big boy, and even a special velcro wrap we bought doesn't hold him

thanks

Fee Guest

My DS first slept through at 9 weeks. He went 12 hours between feeds. He continued to do this on and off until about 4.5 months where he started sleeping through constantly. But for about 2 months there it was just a mix up! Some nights he'd sleep through and other nights he'd wake once for a feed.

Milo was sleeping about 8 hours at night at 8 weeks.
    From 5 weeks - 12 weeks it was about the same no. hours as his age in weeks. I think he started slleping 4-5 hours at a time from day 2 home from hospital a couple of times a day, but that was conter blanaced by 5-10 hrs of awake & unsettled time in the afternoons