Thread: Sleepless Nights (2 year molars?)

Matryoshka Guest

Default Sleepless Nights (2 year molars?)

Can anyone give me more info on these? do they literally come at 2 years of age? are they the last teeth to arrive?

I ask because we've been having a rough time here with sleeping, my DS is waking constantly through the night, i lose count of how many times. Every time he wakes he cries and i BF him. I had ruled out teething as it looks like he has all his teeth, but recently he has been biting me when he feeds, and drooling again. So am wondering if its teething again?

As for the sleeping i dont know what to do to make it any easier on myself, already i just roll over and feed him, whether its comfort or thirst i'm not sure but he goes back to sleep. I am just exhausted though, i was really hoping to be catching up on extra sleep at the end of my pregnancy rather than getting up so many times in the night as i know i'll have to do that soon enough anyway.

Any ideas???

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

MB,

yep another set come in at 2 years or therabouts, and these are the last to arrive until they start losing their milk teeth, I believe. Charlie got 2 about a month ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if your DS has some coming through. I didn't see them myself, but the girls at childcare saw one erupting on a day he was particularly grizzly. He's been grizzly and drooling the last few days as well, which includes waking and crying (he doesn't like losing sleep either, that boy) so I suspect he's got more coming.

It's unfortunate it's happening now when you obviously need some sleep, but hopefully he won't be in pain for long.
    Last edited by sushee; March 27th, 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Matryoshka Guest

I suspect that might be it. See its coincided with some minor tantrums as well so i wasn't sure if he was just going through a difficult period processing his emotions. But the drooling has to be teething as he does not drool usually.

So are there just 2 molars or 4? (top and bottom?) Its hard for me to look because he doesn't like to open his mouth.

he will eventually have 20 baby teeth, 2 yr old molars come around 2 give or take a few months!!
    2 molars in each quatrant, so it is possible he's teething

ETA 8 molars all up T

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Quote Originally Posted by MummaB View Post
    \its coincided with some minor tantrums as well so i wasn't sure if he was just going through a difficult period processing his emotions
    Probably a bit of both at the moment, hun. I hear you on the tanties. We're getting a few as well round our place.

Matryoshka Guest

What about dropping the day sleep?? when does that usually happen? i find that if he misses his day sleep, for instance if we get up late or if we go out, then there is not struggle to get him to sleep and he doesn't wake up as often. But he is still displaying tired signs in the day so most days still goes down.

We had a cranky little girl here recently and it went on for over a week (along with feral poo's) and one night at dinner she was being silly and I saw a new molar, and a week later the second one came (bottom), but no sign of the top ones yet.

MB, Jack still has a day sleep most days at 3, but has gone through phases of not sleeping during the day for a week or so at a time since he was 2. I find the same, that he sleeps better at night with no day sleep, but also he is really feral in the afternoon and even worse for witching hour, so it's not worth it to deliberately stop his day sleep. There is no right or wrong at that age, but I think you will really appreciate your 2yo still sleeping during the day when you have a young baby. I would have been in all sorts of trouble if I hadn't had that "break" most days. GL, I hope it passes soon - it certainly sounds like those pesky 2yo molars to me too.

Just bumping this thread as I think Nina is getting her 2 year molars through. She's drooling like mad, very irritable, sleep is almost non-existant at times and off her food. She looks as though she has all her other teeth.
    Previously, we've never had problems when she's been teething, no drooling or anything, so this has come as a surprise for us.
    Is it possible to be getting them 4 months off turning 2?
    What can we do for her? It looks as though she's also getting a cold/flu.